cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user7t9pCtDYmI
Constellation

T mobile unlocked Samsung Galaxy s9 plus update

Hi,

I have a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy s9 plus with tmobile sim. My software version was stuck on the January update from Samsung. Each month i would read posts stating that Samsung had released the latest android security patch & so I would check almost once a week for the update on my device, but it would always say that I am on the latest version. I used to think, they might be releasing it phase by phase and the update will trickle down to my device sooner or later. But i never got it.

After i grew impatient, i googled and came across few posts stating that tmobile is not allowing(blocking) the updates, and temporarily switching to other network sim will help. So to test this, i inserted a sim from other network. And guess what, my device first upgraded to June update, then to July and finally yo the August security update. Attaching screenshot for the August one. 

Screenshot_20190904-203722_Software update.jpg

Once the update finished, i switched back to tmobile sim.

I wanna know if Tmobile was not allowing me to update or Samsung?

(PS. I even tried wipe cache partition & soft reset before testing the network switch test, and it did not help)

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung_whygee
Astronaut

How do I get the update

How do I get the update

user7t9pCtDYmI
Constellation

Are you on tmobile? What is ur current update on?

Are you on tmobile? What is ur current update on?

userpzl6ntwpk7
Asteroid

Re: Are you on tmobile? What is ur current update on?

Hi,

I am having S9+  with a T mobile connection and I had security updates as on Jan 1 2019.  T mobile is not pushing updates to its customer. I swaped the sim card with my friends AT&T, and I got immediately prompted for updates ! Now I am having Aug 1 2019 security patch.  I dont understand why T mobile is having double standards.

Re: T mobile unlocked Samsung Galaxy s9 plus update

Ultimately I decided I was fed up with Samsung and switched to Apple.  I will say though I was surprised that before I switched phones I switched from Tmobile to Sprint and my S8 that I was using at that time also got a security update once it was on Sprint so you might be on to something.  I now have the S8 as a spare phone only and keep it up to date via wifi.  Sprint has it on the August security patch.