cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US unlocked S9/S9+ (sm-g965u1/sm-g960u1) - months behind security

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't comprehend how both the US unlocked Snapdragon variants of the S9/S9+ (sm-g965u1 or sm-g960u1 ) took 3 months to get the first security patch and now after seeing the carriers almost monthly getting security patches, we are still on June in September. There was the February patch at release and then finally in June we got the June patch.  Now it's over 2 months later and we are way over due. If many of us had known that security support was on a (maybe) quarterly schedule, consistently months behind all other US variants, we would never have purchased these junk phones. Samsung lies on their security page about monthly patches for the s9 and s9+. It's not the carriers holding back the updates either if their variants ARE getting certified and updated monthly, its Samsung.  Security update support for these unlocked US variants are virtually nonexistent and after 2 years we may possibly have no support from Samsung after owning a phone that was perpetually months behind in security! There is no excuse. Your update policy here is extremely outdated. If in Europe Samsung haf to get every carrier to support or "certify" every single patch, they would NEVER get updated ever! It's been almost 70 days Samsung! What's the deal? Buy back my phone if you can't support it. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: US unlocked S9/S9+ (sm-g965u1/sm-g960u1) - months behind security

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Joytofender wrote:
I agree with you. The reasons I bought it unlocked were to avoid T-Mobile's bloat and hoping to get more timely upgrades, but it looks like I have to flash their firmware in order to keep my phone updated.

Yes, I also was hopefull of better updates, but no, Samsung just doesnt care about good support or prommised Updates. Only thing you can do is report your thoughts and complaints on other forums tike AndroidCentral, Sammobile, and others. No one reads or cares to forward messages to Corporate Samsung on this forum..unfortunately

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well worded!, If only Samsung cared...

usersusNXF7Wf5
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also am very frustrated with Samsung. I bought my unlocked S9+ directly from Samsung and am surprised by the total lack of support and updates.

Samsung doesn't seem to care about fixing current problems with Bixby or updating the security on our phones. It seems that their focus is on marketing and selling new phones. Actually supporting their current customers is an after thought and we are left behind.

Does any Samsung moderator actually read these forums and become involved to assist the customer directly one on one to solve a problem? I have an issue with Bixby that has been going on for months now. 4 different Samsung moderators have communicated with me but the responses are so fragmented and different that there has been no real support. So, the problem goes unresolved.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're absolutely right about how their only interest is in selling and marketing their phones. What I've realized from my many MANY talks with Samsung "experts" is that: 

1.) They will never fully answer your question if it has to do with anything that brings light to their incompetence. All answers are vague, scripted, and if your angry, there's a touch of apology meant to disarm you and get you off the phone ASAP. 

2.) They really have no knowledge of how to deal with questions regarding lack of support for security updates because they don't have any information at all, so they may tell you they will have "eg:John Doe" call you back because they have "never heard of this issue but he should be able t help".... and he never calls. 

They really are the worst company, hands down, when it comes to lack of support, any honest transparency, and overall lack of any knowledge about anything. I'm really trying to get the message out for Americans to not buy Samsung. We aren't their main money making market and we are low priority for them. There are so many other brands to go with that at least have good support. The technology has boomed and Samsung is no longer a premium device in my eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if Google would be glad to see them go away for many obvious reasons. 

userWVdapTYGEk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am upset as well, I'll never again buy unlocked from Samsung. Shame on you samsung. The only thing I like about apple is that they update all their phones at the same time. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What's funny about the US variants, all of them, even the unlocked ones,.... wait for it..  they are all identical hardware. If you flash T-Mobile firmware to an unlocked model, it's a T-mobile phone. *even the model number changes to a U from the U1* Now understand that your phone is still "unlocked" however it's because it wasn't ever locked to begin with. So the only thing about owning an unlocked Samsung is that it will always be last for software upgrades and months behind on security patches... for no reason at all. Apple has several models of phones, and yes, they do get updates, regular updates, and occasional security updates all at once. There's no logic to Samsung at all. They need to go away into the history books or just stick to washers and dryers. 

Joytofender
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I agree with you. The reasons I bought it unlocked were to avoid T-Mobile's bloat and hoping to get more timely upgrades, but it looks like I have to flash their firmware in order to keep my phone updated.
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Joytofender wrote:

Yes, I also was hopefull of better updates, but no, Samsung just doesnt care about good support or prommised Updates. Only thing you can do is report your thoughts and complaints on other forums tike AndroidCentral, Sammobile, and others. No one reads or cares to forward messages to Corporate Samsung on this forum..unfortunately

Seishi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So disappointed honestly, I thought my first experience with Samsung would be great. Exynos models just reported getting the new september security patch and I'm still here with my unlocked s9 on June 1, 2018. Support seemed to avoid any information about why I'm not getting updates

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I totally agree. Contact as many "tech review" sites as possible and let them know of our frustration. I think this is the only solution. 

Thanks.