cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Unable to send or receive phone calls after Android 10 upgrade ( text and mobile data still work )

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

Friday evening I got a notification on my unlocked Galaxy S9 for the android 10 upgrade: G960U1UEU7DTA5.

My phone carrier  is on cricket wireless and the model number: SM-G960U1

Since getting the update I haven't been able to make phone calls. As soon as I dial the number it changes from "calling" to "couldn't connect".  I'm still able to use text messages and LTE+ mobile data.

I've already tried clearing my phone's cache partition as well as upgrading all apps on the play store. I also gave the phone and contact apps all available permissions. Reset phone multiple times and still have the issue.

My wife has the exact same phone and upgraded overnight. She also cannot send/recive phone calls as well, so I'm certian it has to do with this upgrade.

Anyone else running into this issue or found a fix?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Unable to send or receive phone calls after Android 10 upgrade ( text and mobile data still w...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, finally think I figured out what is going on. Leave this here if anyone else has the same issue.

Seems I can't get calls if my voice network is set to LTE. Possibly because I'm using an unlocked phone and cricket I don't think allows VoLTE on non-branded phones as I don't have access to the setting. Possbile some setting changed with the android 10 update that messed up the LTE calling that cricket hasn't fixed yet.

I had to dial #*#4636#*#  to get to the extra phone info settings.

Changed my "Prefered Network Type" from TD-SCDMA/CDMA/UMTS  to GLOBAL auto PRL.

I lose LTE data doing this, going down to HSPA+ but I get calling back when it switched the voice network to UMTS. Guess I'll roll with this for the time being till I figure something better out.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Unable to send or receive phone calls after Android 10 upgrade ( text and mobile data still w...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend reaching out to your carrier regarding this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just an update to this. Almost a week later and still can't make or recive calls. Contacted Cricket and my coverage is good, I'm about 1.3 miles from the nearest tower. They exausted all options including doing a nework refersh on our phones trying different sim cards.

I seem to be missing settings in the mobil date settings page like 

Oddly the only way I can make a call is to turn my phone to airplane mode and then try to call and get it to take it out of airplane mode and make the call.

So I don't have stuff like "enhanced LTE services" voLTE, etc.. under my settings not sure if that made a difference ( can't remember if I had them before the update ). May have to get a cricket branded phone and just sell the unlocked one.

It seems like the Android 10 update messed up the LTE signals on my phone or perhaps even the phone app itself. 

Basically my only option now is to try to find a way to roll back top pie, or hope the next patch fixes it. Ugh.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, finally think I figured out what is going on. Leave this here if anyone else has the same issue.

Seems I can't get calls if my voice network is set to LTE. Possibly because I'm using an unlocked phone and cricket I don't think allows VoLTE on non-branded phones as I don't have access to the setting. Possbile some setting changed with the android 10 update that messed up the LTE calling that cricket hasn't fixed yet.

I had to dial #*#4636#*#  to get to the extra phone info settings.

Changed my "Prefered Network Type" from TD-SCDMA/CDMA/UMTS  to GLOBAL auto PRL.

I lose LTE data doing this, going down to HSPA+ but I get calling back when it switched the voice network to UMTS. Guess I'll roll with this for the time being till I figure something better out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Note the above referenced code did not work for me. The correct code for me to get this to work (Unlocked S9 with AT&T) is :

*#*#4636#*#*

The difference in the #* formatting explicitly as I typed is important. 

I switched to GLobal auto PRL and it's put me down to HSPA+ as mentioned and things are functioning now, which is a huge plus over the non-functioning LTE. Hopefully samsung recognizes this and fixes the problem soon. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for posting this, this will at least give me a temporary fix. I've called AT&T and Samsung with no success.  This is the only thing that has given me some hope. Hopefully AT&T and Samsung figure something out because this is ridiculous.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried this code...it did not work for me. I have att.

I've been having this problem for months. I've done all of the system updates hoping they would fix whatever happened with android 10. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Omg you helped me... I been trying to fix my unlocked Samsung Galaxy s9 plus and cricket just keep trying simple things and nothing works. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been having this problem for months. I've done all of the system updates hoping they would fix whatever happened with android 10. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Unable to send or receive phone calls after Android 10 upgrade ( text and mobile data still work

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Searching internet for answers to this recent issue for Verizon  Galaxy S9 Android 10 Samsung UI 2.0 update issue affecting outgoing/incoming phone and outgoing text messages.  Pulled update down through phone via Search for Updates on Feb 25 2020.  Now I am missing phones calls, cannot make calls and cannot send text messages (via Google Messages).  

I contacted Verizon while researching the issue via Verizon troubleshooting website, and the rep said they have been getting calls for S9 only on this issue.  His recommended fixes only temporarily solved the problem (10 minutes) and included soft reset.  I am able to temporarily regain functionality by toggling the airplane mode setting on/off, but problem quickly appears.  Have sinced talked to 3 other Verizon reps - some say it is known issue, other say they see no "alerts" on this issue.  They have escalated and will call me back.  It's definitely a software issue, maybe with what Verizon layered on top of the update?  It appear at this point that Verizon is no universally accepting this as a known issue which is troubling.  Can't blame it on Samsung if there are no issues for other Galaxy phones, so I won't be paying my Verizon bill as the testing prior to roll-out is their responsibility, and I can't obtain basic functionality of phone calls or texts.