JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unexpected Safe Mode Followed by Multiple Issues

(Topic created: 12-27-2020 07:54 AM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have my S9 set to restart every Sunday morning at 3:00 AM. This morning when I woke up, it had restated and entered safe mode. My third-party alarm app had not sounded due to safe mode. Restarting again returned it to normal mode, but all of my third-party widgets were missing from my home screen (some by HD Widgets, but also a battery monitor widget and one from my alarm clock app). The only widget remaining was the Samsung Device Care widget. I added widgets back, but just realized my phone is also in airplane mode and my default keyboard reverted to stock. What would cause a phone to behave in this manner and how do I make sure my alarm will work tomorrow? Restarting now appears to be working normally. Thanks, Dan

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
5 Replies
Solution
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
that is what safe mode does... it disables all non native, 3rd party apps from doing anything so phone issues can be easily categorized into an app issue caused by the user, or a OS phone issue caused by the phone. During an auto restart scheduled, if something weird happened, like an app crash or the battery is auto sleeping unused apps and auto disabling others, it can boot into safe mode just to be sure it not an app being glitchy. everything should be fine if your not having operating issues. to be sure your alarms you set will go off I'd recommend you reset your auto restart and optimized schedule to run again in an hour or so, maybe do it twice to see if it does it again.
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I knew safe mode disabled third-party apps but I've never seen this impact persist after restarting into normal mode. I've never seen it trigger airplane mode, though (maybe I just missed it). Thanks for the testing suggestion -- I've set an auto restart for a little under an hour from now and will leave my phone undisturbed trying to simulate being on the nightstand.

Dan
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Nothing odd happened on a scheduled auto-restart, so it does appear to be a one-off glitch of some sort. I don't see anything unexpected in app permissions, either. The only "real" concern is potentially missing an alarm, but if I auto-restart on Sunday it minimizes that risk, and I could always set the stock clock to alarm on Sunday. Thanks for helping me sort through this. Dan

Dan
0 Likes
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
no problem bud, glad to hear everything is ok... I set my schedule to auto everyday, and at a time I am usually on my phone so it only gets to do it once or twice a week. plus I can be sure there aren't any issues as well. if you don't want to set a secondary alarm on the native clock I'd suggest a morning routine or wake up from either Google assistant or bixby just incase, plus they are both considered native. happy new year bud!
0 Likes
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
check your settings, apps, more options, special access, device admins, see if ones on that isn't normally or you didn't put on, then check the change system settings, look and turn off the ones that don't need that permission which I turn all of mine off and if one needs it for something it'll ask. sometimes apps are given new permissions and things with updates and it can get stuck on for no reason.
0 Likes