cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Unlocked Samsung Galaxy s9 plus....Update to 9.0?

And now I see Samsung is starting to push the update to the note 8. All before they get around to the unlocked s9 in the US. I'm generally a patient person, but with Samsung's support in the US for unlocked phones it hard to have any goodwill when it constantly feels like you're being given the middle finger. They obviously feel they have more important things to take care of. I'm not asking for special treatment. It'd just be nice to feel like we were given the same courtesy as the rest of the world. 

userhyo6Q6APD7
Constellation

So, I am just postulating here (and it doesn't mean I like it at all). We have carrier unlocked phones, thus the phone needs to work on the four major carriers in the US. So, Samsung chooses to validate that the phone works on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint just in case something doesn't work on those networks before they give it to us. As you may have observed, T-MOBILE found a bug and delayed their release. Each carrier is making sure it works on their implementation of their wireless bands. 

So raise your hand if you want a phone which doesn't connect to your chosen carrier.

Now, I would have preferred Samsung to release OneUI to us at the same time they sent it to carriers, and gave us the bug fixes as a Feb update. As it is, just think of all the people who currently have as being a large population beta test, with a short during to general release. 

As for Samsung, there customer support team only know, "It will come, when it comes. It's on a rolling release, and someday you'll get it"

Samsung Care Ambassador

Samsung already addresses this matter way back in Galaxy S8 that the major carrier in the US will have to undergo certification process as an unlocked device to work with their network and of course Carrier branded device will have to be on their top priority before unlocked. Samsung and other manufacturers are also contracted to the carrier for whatever they agree on updates so they can't speculate when they release an update specifically.

There are so many things wrong with the logic in that post.  First and foremost EVERY CARRIER  has already pushed the update, so what is Samsumg possibly waiting on now?

I have an unlocked S9+ on Verizon.  That phone was part of the beta, yet Verizon did not participate in the beta.  The explanation, directly from Samsung, was that it didn't matter as long as it was an unlocked phone because they are NOT dependant upon the carrier to determine what OS they run.  Now, according to your post, they are.  If the OS can't be used until certified by the carrier, unlocked phones on non-participating carriers could not possibly be part of the beta.  Yet they were.

Beyond that, why is it that apparently only Samsung has to get this certification for unlocked phones?  Get an unlocked phone directly from Google and you will be updated as soon as an update is available, regardless of what the carriers may do with a locked version of that phone.  Why does Samsung have to get some weird approval that Google doesn't have to get?  Nor Apple for that matter.   Even LG has pushed updates to unlocked phones with no regard to whether a particular carrier has pushed that update to the locked varients yet.  Apparently, only Samsung has to follow this weird advance certification rule you imply exists.  Why?

The PHONE has to be certified and approved by the carrier for use on its network.  The OS does not.  Once the Galaxy S9 is certified for a network, it's known from that moment forward that the phone is compatible with the network.  Networks do not go futher than that in regards to software except their own software they add to the locked varients.  How many phones do you think have ever been flashed with a non-standard version of Android?  Yet no network has ever thrown these phones off.  And the reason for that is as simple as the fact that the network does not care what OS the phone uses - only that the physical phone itself has been certified and approved for that network.

useruUqXWodapc
Cosmic Ray

My unlocked US S9 received Pie/One UI update early this morning, 2/18. I'm on Verizon.

userOhVe51jK80
Asteroid

Hello Just received the ONE UI update (Android pie) today (18 th February 2019) for my Galaxy S9 plus (SM-G965U1) .  I Believe  it's  now rolling  out for the Unlocked  versions . Just wanted to inform you on that.🙂

userOhVe51jK80
Asteroid

Hello Just received the ONE UI update (Android pie) today (18 th February 2019) for my Galaxy S9 plus (SM-G965U1) . I Believeit's now rolling out for the Unlocked versions . Just wanted to inform you on that.🙂
userOhVe51jK80
Asteroid

Hello Just received the ONE UI update (Android pie) today (18 th February 2019) for my Galaxy S9 plus (SM-G965U1) . I Believeit's now rolling out for the Unlocked versions . Just wanted to inform you on that.🙂
solosadman
Constellation

Same here. I have received it as well.

Rose4uKY
Asteroid

I just recieved it last night. I have been manually checking for about a week now. I had an unlocked Note 8 prior andit was mainly because we thought about leaving Sprint but never did.  I read that they want to make sure all carrier updates work and have no bugs and that is why unlocked get last but I don't know really. But even though I just got the update I still have reserved two unlocked S 10 pluses from Samgsung which we can pre-order tomorrow. I like not having all the bloatware and if I do end up leaving Sprint I like having unlocked.