Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
visualblind
Constellation

Re: Unlocked galaxy S9 on Verizon

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Farrkywrote:

I appreciate the answers so far. I'm still hoping to hear a specific answer from Samsung. 

Years ago when I looked for an unlocked phone I received the typical answer of if it's unlocked then it works on every network. I inquired with Verizon about the unlocked S9 and they stated that I would need to have the phones imei for them to answer. So I'd have to buy the phone before I knew whether or not I could use it.

Because you got an unknowledgable support person. Yes the Unlocked Galaxy S9 will work on Verizon, this is 100% confirmed. It will work on any of the major carriers in the U.S.

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, it will work on Verizon. I myself have an unlocked Galaxy S8 on Verizon currently, and just preordered the unlocked S9+ this morning. 

They most likely want the IMEI to make sure it's not bad. If you buy it directly from Samsung or another reputable source, it will work without issue. 

And IMO, it is better to go unlocked. I made the switch because I was tired of the carrier bloat, slow updates from Verizon, and the final nail in the coffin was Verizon blocking me from using certain free Samsung apps because the wanted me to pay for the Verizon versions. 

Plus, with the S9 and S9+ this year, Verizon is charging much more for the Verizon variant than the unlocked version costs. 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userp9vTkIXEmM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm also interested to see, a website called frequencycheck has a band checker tool and this was posted. I already preordered this version and I hope this is true and it really is as easy as swapping the sim from my current one!

SCTiger
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What all features/functions will I sacrifice if I go with unlocked on Verizon?  I've seen mixed opinions on losing wifi calling, visual voicemail, HD calling, VoLTE (including video calling) and mobile hotspot.  I can use Google Voice for my visual voicemail and Duo for my video calling.  But, I need my mobile hotspot and would like to be able to use data while on a call.  On the flipside, what features will I gain by going unlocked?  I think Verizon has blocked use of Samsung Cloud and Samsung's find my mobile on their branded devices.  But, I didn't know if there were other features. Thanks.

userr8UbQBQlOO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does hd voice,HS and vvm work on your s8 ?

SCTiger
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes. But I have a Verizon branded S8.

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Using the unlocked S8 on the Verizon network, here are the features I DO have:

1. VoLTE

2. Mobile Hot spot

3. Visual Voicemail

Options I DO NOT have:

1. WiFi Calling

2. HD Calling

3. Video Calling

WiFi Calling is not that big a deal to me right now, same as HD Calling. For Video Calling, I have Google Duo installed. I used to use Google Voice for my visual voicemail, but a couple of weeks ago Samsung rolled out their own voicemail app and I have been content using that. 

Ther are certain apps that you cannot use from Samsung if you use the Verizon variant of the S8/S9. Those include:

1. Samsung Cloud (Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Verizon Cloud app)

2. Caller ID (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Caller ID app)

3. Device Maintenance (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Total Mobile Protection app)

4. Samsung Visual Voicemail (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to use - and potentially pay for - their Visual Voicemail app)

5. Samsung's Find My Mobile (I think this is part of Verizon's Total Mobile Protection, which as I stated above, Verizon wants you to pay for)

I have found the Samsung apps to be superior to the Verizon apps - and they are free from Samsung. Cloud still has some work that needs to be done - mostly, just the ability to access my cloud data from anywhere, not just my devices. But Caller ID is fantastic at flagging calls from telemarketers and such,  and pulling up caller information (including pictures). Samsung Visual Voicemail is just missing the option to translate the message to text, and it is a new app (only a few weeks old), so I think with time it will get there.

Verizon also preloads a bunch of additional apps and will not let you do beta testing for future versions of the Android OS on the Galaxy phones. However, if you have the unlocked version of the Galaxy S8/S9, you can use all of the apps listed above that they block you from, you will not have the carrier bloat, and you can do beta testing of Android OS's as Samsung releases them while still being on the Verizon Network. I am positive there are additional things I am missing, but I cannot think of them right now.

Another factor to consider is if you pay for insurance on your phone through Verizon/Asurion. I recently had to deal with a huge headache related to that. A Verizon store rep told me that their insurance (through Asurion) covered the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8. I accidentally cracked the front of my phone, and so I tried to get a replacement phone (I couldn't do screen repair because there was a tiny chip on the back of the phone and that disqualified it from just getting a screen repair). I paid the $150 deductible and they sent me a replacement phone. However, it was not an unlocked S8 - it was a Verizon variant. I called, assuming they just messed up, but found out they do not cover the unlocked S8. I sent them back the Verizon variant and ended up having to go to a local repair shop to get the back replaced, then use the insurance company again to replace the front of the screen. While the process for the front screen replacement was incredibly convienent - they come to your house, going forward on the S9, I am most likely going to cancel my insurance through Verizon/Asurion and get Samsung Premium Care, since they will cover the unlocked phones. Insurance through Verizon is fine if you just need the front glass replaced, but anything else and your phone is technically not covered.

Hope that clarifies what you can expect between the unlocked and Verizon variant. Let me know if you have any other questions!

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
SCTiger
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@shuddle13wrote:

Using the unlocked S8 on the Verizon network, here are the features I DO have:

1. VoLTE

2. Mobile Hot spot

3. Visual Voicemail

Options I DO NOT have:

1. WiFi Calling

2. HD Calling

3. Video Calling

WiFi Calling is not that big a deal to me right now, same as HD Calling. For Video Calling, I have Google Duo installed. I used to use Google Voice for my visual voicemail, but a couple of weeks ago Samsung rolled out their own voicemail app and I have been content using that. 

Ther are certain apps that you cannot use from Samsung if you use the Verizon variant of the S8/S9. Those include:

1. Samsung Cloud (Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Verizon Cloud app)

2. Caller ID (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Caller ID app)

3. Device Maintenance (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to pay to use their Total Mobile Protection app)

4. Samsung Visual Voicemail (Again, Verizon blocks it completely and wants you to use - and potentially pay for - their Visual Voicemail app)

5. Samsung's Find My Mobile (I think this is part of Verizon's Total Mobile Protection, which as I stated above, Verizon wants you to pay for)

I have found the Samsung apps to be superior to the Verizon apps - and they are free from Samsung. Cloud still has some work that needs to be done - mostly, just the ability to access my cloud data from anywhere, not just my devices. But Caller ID is fantastic at flagging calls from telemarketers and such,  and pulling up caller information (including pictures). Samsung Visual Voicemail is just missing the option to translate the message to text, and it is a new app (only a few weeks old), so I think with time it will get there.

Verizon also preloads a bunch of additional apps and will not let you do beta testing for future versions of the Android OS on the Galaxy phones. However, if you have the unlocked version of the Galaxy S8/S9, you can use all of the apps listed above that they block you from, you will not have the carrier bloat, and you can do beta testing of Android OS's as Samsung releases them while still being on the Verizon Network. I am positive there are additional things I am missing, but I cannot think of them right now.

Another factor to consider is if you pay for insurance on your phone through Verizon/Asurion. I recently had to deal with a huge headache related to that. A Verizon store rep told me that their insurance (through Asurion) covered the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8. I accidentally cracked the front of my phone, and so I tried to get a replacement phone (I couldn't do screen repair because there was a tiny chip on the back of the phone and that disqualified it from just getting a screen repair). I paid the $150 deductible and they sent me a replacement phone. However, it was not an unlocked S8 - it was a Verizon variant. I called, assuming they just messed up, but found out they do not cover the unlocked S8. I sent them back the Verizon variant and ended up having to go to a local repair shop to get the back replaced, then use the insurance company again to replace the front of the screen. While the process for the front screen replacement was incredibly convienent - they come to your house, going forward on the S9, I am most likely going to cancel my insurance through Verizon/Asurion and get Samsung Premium Care, since they will cover the unlocked phones. Insurance through Verizon is fine if you just need the front glass replaced, but anything else and your phone is technically not covered.

Hope that clarifies what you can expect between the unlocked and Verizon variant. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Perfect response. Just the info I was looking for. Thanks for all the detail. I've been unable to find all of this info anywhere else online. 

userovDgkbjprT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Great info!

Are you able to test Samsung Visual Voice mail app on your Verizon Galaxy S8 to see if it works? 

I just called Samsung and they said they are not aware of a Samsung Visual Voice mail app and I have to contact my provider about visual voice mail.

I really want to get the Unlocked Galaxy S9 and use it on Verizon, but the stories regarding this on the S8 sounded bad (here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/938013).  They could not download the verizon visual voice mail icon on the unlocked S8.

Thanks,

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It isn't labeled Visual Voicemail per se. But as far as I am concerned, it functions just the same. It was released by Samsung, it actually just showed up as an update in my Galaxy Apps store one day. I have attached some screenshots to show you how it looks/functions. I have zero issue using it on my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon. I get my S9+ tomorrow (or Wednesday at the latest) - I will let you know if I have any trouble with it there. Before this was pushed to my phone, I used the Google Voice app, because I refuse to pay Verizon for something I can get for free (and works better). As I said before, the only thing missing between Samsung and Google is that Google had a transcribe option that would trascribe my voicemail.

Also, as you can see - it was pushed out by Samsung - I don't even have an option to uninstall it, just disable it.