cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung_QjvvOGa
Astronaut

Unlocked galaxy s9 not receiving November security update

Does anyone know why my unlocked galaxy s9 didnt get the November 2019 security update? My friends unlocked galaxy s8 got it.

27 REPLIES 27
Leify
Astronaut

Re: Unlocked galaxy s9 not receiving November security update

I still don't have it either.

Samsung_JOwRuj7
Astronaut

Me too.When can I download it?

Samsung Care Ambassador

What carrier SIM card is in your device? 

userVQLerNnxas
Constellation

That's weird my note 9 has had it since November 1

Silent827
Constellation

Before I traded mine today. My s9+ got it like 2 weeks ago and so did my regular 9. Not sure why you're not getting it. Maybe because of the carrier.

RolfVonHessen
Asteroid

@Samsung_QjvvOGa wrote:

Does anyone know why my unlocked galaxy s9 didnt get the November 2019 security update? My friends unlocked galaxy s8 got it.

Did it ever get any security update ( with the SIM card it has now, in the country it is in now ) ?

Samsung_QjvvOGa
Astronaut

It has a tmobile sim card but the phone itself is unlocked.

Leify
Astronaut

My carrier is AT&T but I don't know why that's relevant. The unlocked update channel is different than the carrier ones.

unlocked phones should get updates faster but instead it is often the opposite.  The path for unlocked phones is Google then phone vendor then carrier.  Carrier will tell you to talk to vendor and vendor says talk to carrier.  It is a bad system with end users caught in the middle.  I blame them both.  I use an iPhone now on Sprint.  When I used my unlocked S8 on Tmobile and Verizon updates didn't come close to monthly.  I kept my S8 as an emergency spare and when my iPhone was being RMAd (bought it used with a warrenty through a reseller) I put my S8 on Sprint and was shocked when it updated right away to the near latest security patch level.  I still connect it wifi from time to time to keep it ready for use and though it isn't active it still gets updates from Sprint.  I just did another connect and after rhe pain of over 40 app updates I was also greeted with software update and then another one 
(I rarely fire up this device anymore) and the end result is that I'm on the November security level patch.  Short answer your carrier is very relevant to your unlocked phone's update schedule and not all carriers are equal in this regard.