JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Does unlocked phones have Wi-Fi calling capabilities?

(Topic created: 07-17-2018 08:51 AM)
userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

84 Replies
userObju9obvqA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It DOES NOT work on my unlocked S9+ with Metro PCS. There is an app that will let you control the feature (which is hidden on unlocked Galaxys) but even after enabling it, I am not able to make any calls or send/receive any texts. An unlocked phone should have more, not less features. The only reason I bought it unlocked is because Metro PCS does not offer the 9+ ALL OF THIS IS SO LAME I CAN BARELY TAKE IT!!!!

0 Likes
userSDFxCG3Kv3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Samsung wants to have a monopoly on the market. It doesn't even allow you to root your own phone. With a Motorola, you can do whatever you want with your phone.

0 Likes
userHa6qvGbYYY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just got a S9+ my carrier is MetroPCS (should be POS), not only NO WIFI calling but I got the Dual SIM . Ihave service for another line but Metro says, one sim per device, system not setup for 2 services on one phone. Talk about wasting money! Beware!!

0 Likes
userpsD934ZdGG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The second sim card goes sideways into the SD slot. T Mobile didn't realize it immediately but figured it out.

0 Likes
userWwexLYYFNl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My S9+ unblocked from Best Buy on Sprint has WiFi calling It is a hard to find setting. I got to it by going to the Phone button and hitting the 3dots on the top right of the screen.  Press the Settings tab. The WiFi calling button is the last one on that page just above About Phone.

usertYWRVuo4Hg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

But once you activate it, where do you find it? I did not thats too but its nowhere on the phone to use or turn on. 

0 Likes
userziEeeBmkzZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have unlocked s9+ on Verizon. You can turn on wifi calling through the phone dialer settings. Go into phone dialer, go into menu and select settings, wifi calling should be second to last item in the menu. Hope this helps if you haven't already figured it out. 

0 Likes
usergWhrLrg2G7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

yesterday, I spent more than an hour with the ATT tech rep.  he could not even eprovision my line to have WIFI calling because it was matched (IMEI) to the samsung S9+.  meaning, my unlocked S(+ will not support ATT wifi calling.  this same phone supported T-Mobile wifi calling all the time.  not supporting wifi calling means we cannot take advantage with the new android messages and send regular messages on wifi

0 Likes
N7KZD
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It is controlled by the carrier and metro pcs does not allow this feature I switched to Xfinity mobile and they finally enabled it on their galaxy phones but it is up to the carrier to enable this feature one of the reasons I switched to Xfinity

0 Likes
Ahm_User_S10
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have been struggling with this and thought people might benefit from my experience.

I got an "unlocked" S10 (meaning directly from Samsung.com and non branded) and I was with At&t carrier.

I tried and wasted so much time talking to different At&t and Samsung people and there is simply no solution to activate the WiFi calling.

I went to T-mobile and the minute they put their sim card in WiFi calling was up and running.

It is sad that you have to switch carriers for this but if you have no service at work like me, WiFi calling is essential.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes