JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Does unlocked phones have Wi-Fi calling capabilities?

(Topic created: 09-21-2018 12:16 PM)
userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

84 Replies
useroRv5VN9RAF
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have an unlocked s9 phone bought from Samsung and my carrier is tmobile...I don't even have the feature of turning on wifi. Regret buying this phone cause I'm an international traveler. Any ideas? 

0 Likes
userEuk5F8KajK
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

On Sprint, on an unlocked GS9+, I finally found WiFI calling at the very bottom of the dialer settings.

It was not a searchable setting in the settings menu.

I.am.not sure why...

0 Likes
userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have wifi calling on unlocked S9+ with tmobile.

0 Likes
Tankdog03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You most likely just need to flash the tmobile firmware. With some research its pretty easy, or u can take it to a Samsung repair center and I believe they can do it for you..

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

On my unlocked S9+ there is a Wifi Calling option in the Phone settings toward the bottom.

This looks like an option on the phone interface rather than being carrier specific  so, i believe regardless of who your carrier is, it should be there.

0 Likes
userqdect12sp8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just had an unlocked one and didn't have the option.

I switched for a branded one in canada.

0 Likes
shadowsports
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Fully unlocked s9+ purchased directly from Samsung - Carrier AT&T. No VVM unless you download APK, no HD voice or wi-fi calling.  I knew I was't going to get HD voice or wifi but not VVM. Doesn't matter, fixed with an APK.

Neighbor has same unlocked device, but T-Mo. Wifi calling works ok.  He said calls drop about  40% of the time.  That's unacceptable to me.  I don't necessarily blame the device I think its the technology.  I've seen it work well and fail.  Depends on your location and what kind of cell coverage you have.

~ Former N6p, Pixel1 owner who tried an s9+ ~ With Android, The software experience is everything. Good specs doesn't mean great device. In the end, it's the software experience that makes or breaks hardware. I've dumped the S9(minus) and gone back to a device that receives actual support, regular updates and bug fixes. DONE WITH SAMSUNG - SOLD THE S9(minus) - YOU GUYS ARE LIARS!
0 Likes
user55RQjsKM8S
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Will you elaborate how you fixed wifi calling with the apk?
user55RQjsKM8S
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@shadowsports wrote:

Fully unlocked s9+ purchased directly from Samsung - Carrier AT&T. No VVM unless you download APK, no HD voice or wi-fi calling.  I knew I was't going to get HD voice or wifi but not VVM. Doesn't matter, fixed with an APK.

Neighbor has same unlocked device, but T-Mo. Wifi calling works ok.  He said calls drop about  40% of the time.  That's unacceptable to me.  I don't necessarily blame the device I think its the technology.  I've seen it work well and fail.  Depends on your location and what kind of cell coverage you have.

Will you elaborate? Were you able to enable wifi calling using the APK?

userW0KaTAQQG9
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Could you post a screen shot please?

0 Likes