JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Does unlocked phones have Wi-Fi calling capabilities?

(Topic created: 08-26-2019 07:50 AM)
userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

84 Replies
useraNQJIVc7j6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

All Samsung phones, regardless of carrier, ARE able to utilize all features regardless of carrier, they all have the same features, However, the ability to turn them on or activate those features are dependent on some configurations that Sadly, general users do not know, and are potentially hidden from.

There are some public write ups on how to turn on all of these features, but it takes some work.

We configure these things for customers all the time. It certainly is sad that the carriers play these games and limit their customers, and use them as ploys to get your business.

Hope this info is promising for everyone who reads this reply.

Google is your friend on this venture to enable all your available options. Good Luck.

0 Likes
LadyGray4110
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My phone is an unlocked Samsung Note 9 and I am on the Verizon network. Make sure your phone as the latest update.  Then from the Samung Phone Dialer app,  not your Setting app, click it open.  Then  once the app opens you will see the 3 vertical dots.  Tap those 3 vertical dots , click "settings" and then scroll down to the Wi-Fi  slider.  Hopefully is not shaded gray...if so, contact Samsung support.  If is not, move   the slider to the on position.  You should be good to go. I had this same problem until I went to the Phone dialer settings feature. 

Jeffp25
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks, that worked! I have an unlocked Note 8, which I bought directly from Samsung during the pre-sale period. When I first found out that I could not enable WiFi calling in the phone settings I spent a lot of time contacting Samung (who sent me to Verizon) and Verizon (who sent me to Samsung) without any success.

Now, I am seriously considering getting a Note 20 Ultra, and was trying to decide between the unlocked and Verizon versions. Now that I know I can get WiFi calling on the unlocked version, that will be my choice (if I buy).

0 Likes
Jeffp25
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well, not successful after all. I turned on WiFi calling in the phone app - and it remains on. But now I am in my basement, with good WiFi connection, and I tried to make a call: the phone says "Mobile network not available" so it doesn't work after all.

Any other suggestions?

This is especially disconcerting because I ordered an unlocked Note 20 Ultra last night.

0 Likes
Samsung_1voqBBJ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Im trying to unlock an A205U from boost and it keeps sending me a code that never works so good luck!

0 Likes