cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userkUQiIbzSKH
Asteroid

Using sd card through usb-c

I have a sd card reader that plugs into the usb type c port. When I plug the adapter into the Galaxy S9+, it puts in the notification bar "usb device charging". When I try to change the option to mtp, it says unable to switch. When I put an ad card into the reader the phone deletes everything on the sd card and begins to format it without even a prompt. I have changed the usb configuration in developer options to use mtp first and it still does this. Any other options to fix this issue? 

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Using sd card through usb-c

@userkUQiIbzSKH Does your sd card reader work on other devices?

userkUQiIbzSKH
Asteroid

@SamsungQue I do not have any other usb-c devices. The adapter will allow me to transfer data from my phone to the sd card in the adapter. The problem is, I'm taking the sd card from my dash cam. Every time I plug it in, all the videos are deleted. I'm trying to view the footage without having to use a computer.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are your devices currently up to date? Have you tried reaching out to the dashcam/sd card manufacturers for assistance?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userkUQiIbzSKH
Asteroid

@SamsungZell Yes, my devices are up to date. I can put the sd card straight from the camera into a laptop and the files are there and viewable. I have also tried a Samsung Galaxy S7. With the S7, I had the same problem as the S9+. The files were deleted and the card was automatically formatted when the card was inserted. Both the dashcam and Samsung phones are using FAT32 format, but the dashcam has to be formatted in the cam itself to work. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

It's likely more of an issue with the software that is performing the formatting on both devices. Unfortunately, if it is occurring on two different android devices, it is likely a compatibility issue with the software that the dash cam uses to format and store the data.

Samsung Care Ambassador

It definitely shouldn't be automatically formatting your SD, although the "USB device charging" message is perfectly normal. Have you tried plugging in a different SD card and seeing if the problem persists?

userkUQiIbzSKH
Asteroid

@ShadowArtist201 I formatted a sd card in FAT32 on my laptop. Then transferred some JPG and MOV files like what would be saved by my dash cam. It worked fine like that. The android files loaded themselves along side the files I placed on the card without deleting them. @SamsungGill I am trying different procedures on formatting the card. I'll keep you guys posted if I make any progress on that end. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@userkUQiIbzSKH If you're sure that the dashcam SD is also FAT32, then it might be a problem with how Android responds to the dashcam's special kind of FAT32 formatting. The only other thing I can suggest is trying a different SD in the dashcam, then trying to view that SD on your phone. If it's still giving you problems even with it being a different card, then it's probably a weird software thing on Samsung's end.