JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Weather Widget Location Required

(Topic created: 02-27-2020 08:50 AM)
userfkvH6jZzeG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Does anyone have a fix for the weather widget requiring you to allow location tracking? I ran into this issue a long time ago and finally gave in, but the update just brought it back to my attention. The widget will not allow you to change any settings unless you give it permission to track your location. This is a very shady, and frankly disturbing, requirement. It has the functionality to let you select what location you want to see the weather for. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You can try enabling it, change your settings, and then disable it again through 'permissions' in settings. Not sure that will work but it's worth a try.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You can try enabling it, change your settings, and then disable it again through 'permissions' in settings. Not sure that will work but it's worth a try.

userfkvH6jZzeG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This works to access the widget settings, but i think it may be preventing me from changing what location is displayed by the widget (doesnt matter what i set as favorite, it only displays the location i had set when i updated).

0 Likes
GaryB82
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userfkvH6jZzeG it requires your location so it can keep upto date weather information on your location 

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓ to Accept as Solution button.
userfkvH6jZzeG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Except that i can tell it the location to track weather for in the settings. It doesnt actually need location or gps access. But it wont even let me access those settings unless i allow it access to track my location. 

Again, this is a very disturbing and underhanded setting requirment.