cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJPON3
Cosmic Ray

What is the difference between SM-G965U1 and SM-G965U?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the SM-G965U1 (Galaxy S9+) and it has a lot of features like Smart Call and a bunch of Bixby add-ons, settings, and a few other odd things I have not seen on a SM-G965U (Galaxy S9+), a friend specified that I may have an non USA model but I find it extremely hard to believe, I have been studying this for a while and found nothing beside people rooting their phones to have the U1 features. What is the actual difference between the two?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: What is the difference between SM-G965U1 and SM-G965U?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The SM-G965U1 is the US unlocked model of the s9+.  The one without the 1 is carrier locked.  The difference is huge between the two. One,  the carrier locked has the carriers firmware on it.  Which means you cannot use the same phone on another network. And the carrier can hold back features and updates. The unlocked phones lately have been late with updates,  but have featured us carrier locked phones wish to have. 

14 REPLIES 14
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The SM-G965U1 is the US unlocked model of the s9+.  The one without the 1 is carrier locked.  The difference is huge between the two. One,  the carrier locked has the carriers firmware on it.  Which means you cannot use the same phone on another network. And the carrier can hold back features and updates. The unlocked phones lately have been late with updates,  but have featured us carrier locked phones wish to have. 

DJPON3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you!!

userPER69KYm68
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, I have a question.  I have the SM-G965U1 and it is unlocked as you stated.  However, how can I find out the original carrier to see if it's compatible with the carrier I'm with now so I can bring my own phone?

DJPON3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userPER69KYm68 wrote:

Ok, I have a question.  I have the SM-G965U1 and it is unlocked as you stated.  However, how can I find out the original carrier to see if it's compatible with the carrier I'm with now so I can bring my own phone?

Little bit of digging confirms that yes, you can use it accross all carriers if it is unlocked by Samsung, you can easily switch out carrier by requesting the unlock codes, since your phone was originally unlocked they will allow you to reunlocked your phone and it will be able to be used accross any carrier in the USA. 

Hope this helps!

Natsumi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello DJPON3

Your information on unlocked is wrong. an factory unlocked phone can't and Shall not be locked by any Carrier if any carrier does lock the mobile phone they can and will face fines and penalties from the the FTC and FCC in the United states.

Natsumi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@DJPON3 wrote:

@userPER69KYm68 wrote:

Little bit of digging confirms that yes, you can use it accross all carriers if it is unlocked by Samsung, you can easily switch out carrier by requesting the unlock codes, since your phone was originally unlocked they will allow you to reunlocked your phone and it will be able to be used accross any carrier in the USA. 

Hope this helps!

Hello DJPON3

Your information on unlocked is wrong. an factory unlocked phone can't and Shall not be locked by any Carrier if any carrier does lock the mobile phone they can and will face fines and penalties from the the FTC and FCC in the United states.

DJPON3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are right by the way, I forgot to update that I was wrong. I switched to T-MOBILE recently. All they did was take out the old SIM card, put a new one in and was good to go. I had never had an unlocked phone so I went off my old knowledge. I fully apologize for my incorrect answer. 

Cleetus
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is it possible to flash the SM-G965U1 rom on a T-Mobile sim unlocked SM-G965U phone?

userNvbUm3SEF5
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes. I did it on G960U T-Mobile now I haveG960U1