cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userFpjcFCPdsd
Cosmic Ray

Who is responsible for releasing updates to a SM-G965U1? Samsung, or my carrier?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi. I have an unlocked phone (factory unlocked) that I use on the T-Mobile network. So far, all of us with this model on T-Mobile are still stuck on the January 2019 update. T-mobile says that since our phones are unlocked and they didn't sell them, the responsibility is on samsung to issue updates to us.

However, I have heard that AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint all have updates at least into June, some even July. So I feel like T-mobile support techs either are being ignorant, or outright lying to me.

So, Samsung support techs... who is at fault? Who actually approves the updates that come to my phone? Is it Samsung, or T-mobile?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Who is responsible for releasing updates to a SM-G965U1? Samsung, or my carrier?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Short answer, your Carrier. Google send them out to Samsung who then sends it out to the carriers. Even for the unlocked versions it relies on the carrier. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

11 REPLIES 11
user35VgDSdaoc
Asteroid

My unlocked s10E was updated 8-6-19 to the July update.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My unlocked s10E was updated 8-6-19 to the July update.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Who is responsible for releasing updates to a SM-G965U1? Samsung, or my carrier?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Short answer, your Carrier. Google send them out to Samsung who then sends it out to the carriers. Even for the unlocked versions it relies on the carrier. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Berserkr78
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCole wrote:

I'm having the same problem...supposedly a solution is to switch to another carrier SIM card... but I don't have another SIM card, only the T-Mobile... this is so frustrating... I went with the unlocked version becuase I assumed updates would come faster since they are coming directly from Samsung... I was WRONG!

userFpjcFCPdsd
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's what I thought. So... is there any way, besides ODIN, to just load an update directly that I download straight from samsung? I don't see any reason why T-Mobile's update policies should affect me, as the owner of a factory unlocked samsung device.

I've used ODIN before, but it's a pain. I'd rather just sideload a zip directly.

userv53jB9PbTJ
Asteroid

I have an s9 plus and still havent recived any updates, I...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an s9 plus and still havent recived any updates, I dont have planetoid pie or anything yet

usera0UTLFsFGI
Astronaut

I have a non-unlocked phone. Currently it is up to date....

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a non-unlocked phone. Currently it is up to date. But when I first got it, S9+, T-mobile wouldn't issue the update. I don't remember which one it was, but it was the one that added back in the feature where you could individualize text message notifications. If it wasn't for the fact that the other carriers don't get service in our house, T-mobile would've been gone a long time ago.

--Lar
Explorer

I have an S9 Plus with Verizon my latest update was Augus...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an S9 Plus with Verizon my latest update was August 2nd it was an unlocked phone

userFpjcFCPdsd
Cosmic Ray

Re: I have an S9 Plus with Verizon my latest update was Augus...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for sharing, Highwaystar! Question: with your factory unlocked phone (was it factory unlocked, or purchased from Verizon unlocked? I think there's a difference) did you get the new Night Mode update, as listed here on theandroidsoul under the verizon updates? I think so far that's the only USA snapdragon release that's gotten it. Internationally it's just been canada snapdragon, and overseas international exynos chipsets.

What's your software version number now? Is it G965USQU6CSGF or G965U1UES4CSD4?

Or, you might be international, on an exynos, in which case you're probably on G965FXXU6CSGD. I almost feel like you have to be because the one ending in SD4 is only on April 2019 patch, whereas the exynos line is up to August.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an unlocked Galaxy S9+ and before I was able to switch it onto my plan (so it had no SIM installed/cell service) I was receiving updates on time.

So by the definition of the Samsung moderator I shouldn't have been receiving any updates. Yet I received the android 9 update, security updates etc. So What he says is not entirely true.

Samsung releases the updates directly to the unlocked phones. If the phone is carrier locked/branded then the carrier gets the update and change whatever they want, and then releases it.

That is why sometimes unlocked variants get their updates before the carrier versions, and other times they get the updates after the carrier branded phones.

Unfortunately Samsung is entirely inconsistent with when they release updates.