cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

WiFi Calling not enabled

I just bought a refurbished Galaxy S9+ unlocked to use with AT&T.  The phone does not seem to have the Wifi calling feature at all.  Is there anyway to add it to the phone?  I cannot use it without Wifi Calling as I live in a rual area where I don't get service.  

My dad also purchased a unlocked phone and his has Wifi calling and it works - so I don't believe it is a proivder issue although I have heard that AT&T will sometimes shut off the feature.  I belive this is a software issue.

I have hard reset the phone a few times now to see if it will help and it has not.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: WiFi Calling not enabled

You will need to talk with AT&T. Wifi calling is definitely a carrier feature and if they don't enable it for that device it isn't there. Usually AT&T does not enable it for unlocked devices. 

My unlocked Note 10 plus on AT&T does not have Wifi calling. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for the reply.  I have been to a local AT&T store and have talked on the phone with support and both have said that it is unlocked and active for the phone and not having available is a software issue.  But like you said, when I spoke to Samsung they said it is a carrier issue.  

I just see everyone pointing fingers and have no solution.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

The AT&T people don't know what they are talking about. The same happens for unlocked Pixels and other phones. Wifi calling is not supported on them. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I can understand and know that they typically don't know what they are talking about - but the fact is my dad, mom and brother all have the same phonw (Galaxy S9) unlocked and use the same service as we are on the same plan....and all of their phones have Wifi Calling.  Mine, does not.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@SnowCat wrote:

I can understand and know that they typically don't know what they are talking about - but the fact is my dad, mom and brother all have the same phonw (Galaxy S9) unlocked and use the same service as we are on the same plan....and all of their phones have Wifi Calling.  Mine, does not.

Then you need AT&T technical team in the back end to compare the configuration file that AT&T is using for one of their phones with the configuration file they have for your phone. AT&T has a setting in their configuration that enables/disables this.