cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

"pie" updated caused bixby key to re-enable, with no way to disable.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung, please listen to your customers... WE DON'T WANT BIXBY. 

after the latest system update, when I try to use my phone to navagate using Google Maps, I place it in my holder (which continuously presses the bixby key) and nothing but Bixby will show on my phone. With previos versions I could disable the key (I couldn't uninstall Bixby, which is what I'd prefer), but with the new "pie" OS, there is no setting to disable the Bixby key.

This renders my phone useless for navigation!!! with no help from Samsung support or supervisor.

The Samsung Galaxy S9+ will likely be the last Samsung product I purchase, simply because they FORCE an unnecessary feature on their users.

I hope I'm not the only user that is upset over this, please comment and post everywhere you have a "voice." This is simply unacceptable!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: "pie" updated caused bixby key to re-enable, with no way to disable.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, since Samsung community donotreply sent me an email asking if I got the answer I was looking for, I thought I'd post a follow up message...

No solution from Samsung or the community, this was an intentional act on Samsung's part. However, with the purchase of an Otterbox defender case, I used a razor knife and cut off the rubber button that pushes the Bixby key on my phone. Now I can attach my phone to my holder without it holding down the Bixby key. 

I urge anyone who doesn't care for the Bixby key to speak up.

Let Samsung know what you think, otherwise they believe you love their Bixby key and soon you won't be able to look at your phone or touch it without Bixby interrupting you. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userzTsYxkxSit  I can confirm that at some point, unknown right now, the Bixby key will be receiving a software update to remap to something else. The S10 family will be the first to have this feature enabled. It should come to all phones that have a dedicated Bixby button eventually. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you have any say in the matter, please express the need to have the Bixby key remapped to "disabled" anything else would likely have similar results for my situation.

Try to imagine trying to navigate to an unfamiliar place while holding down the Bixby key.

If I thought I could, I'd physically remove the Bixby key from my phone. The features I love about this phone (practically everything else) are overshadowed by this unwanted button. 😢

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Simple, temporary fix would be to revert back to prior OS, until remap is available. Why can't I at least do that?

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

They will release a software update eventually which will allow you to customize Bixby key so as a result, you can map the Bixby key to any other app of your choice. Don't worry, they've already done it for the new Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+ lineup. So, it should come to other devices pretty soon. Hope it helps. Thank You.

Rubel.

@userzTsYxkxSit wrote:

Samsung, please listen to your customers... WE DON'T WANT BIXBY. 

after the latest system update, when I try to use my phone to navagate using Google Maps, I place it in my holder (which continuously presses the bixby key) and nothing but Bixby will show on my phone. With previos versions I could disable the key (I couldn't uninstall Bixby, which is what I'd prefer), but with the new "pie" OS, there is no setting to disable the Bixby key.

This renders my phone useless for navigation!!! with no help from Samsung support or supervisor.

The Samsung Galaxy S9+ will likely be the last Samsung product I purchase, simply because they FORCE an unnecessary feature on their users.

I hope I'm not the only user that is upset over this, please comment and post everywhere you have a "voice." This is simply unacceptable!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, since Samsung community donotreply sent me an email asking if I got the answer I was looking for, I thought I'd post a follow up message...

No solution from Samsung or the community, this was an intentional act on Samsung's part. However, with the purchase of an Otterbox defender case, I used a razor knife and cut off the rubber button that pushes the Bixby key on my phone. Now I can attach my phone to my holder without it holding down the Bixby key. 

I urge anyone who doesn't care for the Bixby key to speak up.

Let Samsung know what you think, otherwise they believe you love their Bixby key and soon you won't be able to look at your phone or touch it without Bixby interrupting you. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Bixby button can be remapped now, so it is way more useful. 🙂

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That sounds great.

Perhaps a quick illustration on how would be useful. 

In my case, regardless of what I mapped the key to do, say for instance search the internet... if I put my phone in my holder, it will be continuously holding down the key, causing my navigation to be replaced by search (or whatever I mapped it to do.)

Disable was a brilliant feature, let's add that to the mapping capabilities. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did the same thing, cut the rubber button of my case,, bye bye bixby!