I have a 45mm GW3(Bluetooth) and bought a 46mm GW4Classic (Bluetooth). After two weeks of using the GW4, I'm returning it and going back to my old reliable GW3.
None of the reasons below are deal killers by themselves, but they all added up to an overall techno-grumpy experience for me. So here they are in brief (all are comparisons to the GW3):
1. Battery life is worse. Should be much better since battery is a little bigger, but it's not better. Normal day of usage on GW3 kills about 25-30% battery. On the GW4 it killed about 45-50% battery.
2. Workout mode AOD mode doesn't exist on GW4 like it does on the GW3. Sorry, Samsung, but using the normal watch AOD function is not a good solution. As a runner and cyclist, this was probably the biggest issue for me. I want to see the data right away in full brightness, not wait for AOD to light up the screen (it's laggy).
3. Spotify is terrible. Won't play over watch speaker, and no shuffle mode for downloaded songs (spotify premium account).
4. Auto-low screen brightness doesn't work. requires manual adjustment, even though "auto" is toggled on.
5. Bixby. Ugh. Still awful. Requires connection to phone.
6. Voice texting not working for SMS, Whatsapp, Signal, Email responses on GBoard.
7. Random, missed message notifications that fail to push to watch for no reason that I can figure.
8. Palm tap to turn off the screen doesn't work reliably.
9. Samsung Pay, screen lock pin, wrist detection doesn't work reliably. I had to "log in" to my watch several times a day to see the time. sheesh.
10. Wifi mode only comes in two flavors: Off and Auto. I like that the GW3 also includes an ON mode so you can force a connection to wifi when needed (such as when updating my Spotify downloads to the watch)
11. Triple tap for grayscale (to save battery) doesn't always work, or activates something unwanted on the GW4 screen.
12. Music players (stock and Spotify apps) on GW3 all have a "spin the bezel" ability to change to the next song. This is awesome when my hands are grimy from yard work and I can just spin the bezel to change songs without actually touching the watch (using my chin or forearm or whatever). The GW4 doesn't have this, not even as a selectable option... bezel changes the volume only. It's one of those great little features that I didn't even know I would miss!
So that's my list. Thought I'd share in case someone from Samsung is listening. Maybe I'll be back to a GW4 one day, but Samsung says they'll be supporting the Tizen OS for a couple more years, so I'll just wait and see if the GW4 gets some improvements.
Good to see someone mention the bad implementation of always on display for exercise, which dims the screen and is hard to see. In fact, it's near impossible to see while swimming. I've been posting complaints about that for a while now. The irony is that when my GW4 came out of the box, always on display for exercise was working well, in the same way as in the GW3, via a convenient on/off option in the exercise settings menu. But when the first firmware update came along, this settings option disappeared and was replaced with the current dimmed screen, bad implementation. It never ceases to amaze me when developers remove a perfectly good and working feature, that's been around for ages, with something far worse, for no apparent reason.
Galaxy Watch got really dumb with Wear OS. Not sure what was Samsung thinking when they handled for free the entire smartwatch market to Apple.
Apple watch is getting better and better with every generation while the Samsung watch got really bad with this upgrade.
I didn't return my GW4, hoping that it will get better. But it looks already abandoned, no updates, nothing. I guess Samsung is already working on the next generation and forgot about the GW4 failure already.
For this reason I will stop buying Samsung phones and smartwatches. I'm also VERY disappointed by the S22 news, and I was very hyped about S22 and wanting to buy one.
This GW4 made me decide to change company and never buy Samsung again.
My GW4 didn't receive any updates since 3 weeks ago, while having HUGE software issues. It's not they are not aware. They launched fast the new GW4 because of the deadline and already abandoned it for the same $$ reason. This decision will cost them LOTS of money, since people will start turning away from Samsung products.
I'm sorry Samsung but you failed miserably and I will never buy Samsung again. Switching to Apple as we speak now. I lost 400 Euro, ok. I lost money and I will lose again in this life. That's not an issue.
Even the fact that you delete all the negative reviews from your shop says everything about your latest products.