JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Active2 SpO2 functionality

(Topic created: 09-13-2021 07:51 AM)
KathyL07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm so upset with Samsung Corporate policy! The Active2 HAS the sensor for SP02 measurement (Red) because I tested it but they went out of their way to disable it because they wanted to sell more Watch 3 and now Watch 4. That's not fair to the people who prefer the style of the Active2.

The Active 2 has the same hardware as watch 3. You can even test the SpO2 sensor in the test menu in the Active 2. Samsung has done some hard work to make watch 3s SpO2 software to not work on Active 2 though.
7 Replies
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know you aren't going to like this answer, but it happens all the time, whether watches, computers, automobiles, etc.

They are detuned, under clocked, feature locked, etc. Unless you buy the more expensive model, pay a premium to unlock the features, etc.

Unless Samsung promised that the Active 2 would eventually have Sp02 functionality and failed to deliver on that promise, then they have done nothing wrong or unusual. Nothing that many other companies likewise do. One example is the BMW F750 and F850 motorcycles. The engine is the same between the two. But the F750 is less expensive and detuned in software. Because of course BMW would rather sell you the more expensive F850 model.
KathyL07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I didn't say they did anything wrong other than say that it didn't have the sensor. They didn't mention that it was there but they turned off functionality. A little misleading.
Solution
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
You mentioned being upset with Samsung Corporate policy. But really it isn't uncommon. This is particularly going to be true when it is a device that requires FDA certification in order to offer the function in the USA. It is likely not worthwhile to Samsung to submit the Active 2 for FDA certification of the Sp02 functionality, if it wasn't promised to be a feature.
KathyL07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
That makes sense they don't want to pay a certification fee but why put the sensor in then?
0 Likes
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I could only speculate on that and hope I don't run afoul of forum rules trying to a little.

I have an Active 2 myself, along with the new Watch 4 Classic, so I tried to research a little on it when I had learned that the A2 had the sensor. One thing that came up in a few threads was that the Watch 3 had a slightly different sensor version (AFE4930) vs the Active 2 (AFE4920). If that is true what does it mean? What was revised with the 4930 version? Some posts claim the Watch 3 sensor is brighter/stronger, but I haven't seen that verified. Did Samsung intend to bring the Sp02 feature with the Active 2 and it didn't pass initial testing so was scrapped for an updated revision in Watch 3?

Is the Active 2 still capable of Sp02 measurement and the feature will still eventually come as it did with Fitbit and Huawei? Who knows outside of Samsung. Fitbit didn't do it until after they were acquired by Google.

While I wished that my Active 2 had the feature, in the end Samsung didn't market the Watch as having the feature, it wasn't promised to me and I didn't buy the watch based on the premise that it ever would. So I couldn't get too upset by the omission of the feature.

I went with the Watch 4 Classic as an update, because I decided that I really liked the physical bezel after buying a Watch 3 for my wife that had it. But the standard Watch 4 comes in a similar bezel-less aluminum body to the lighter Active 2.
0 Likes
KathyL07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
To be honest, I still had the S10+ at that point and assumed that once a function, that I relied on everyday, was released and working fine wouldn't be taken away. I have sleep apnea so I'm often on the low side of oxygen. I didn't even pay attention. I was just very shocked to learn it didn't have it and neither did the S21+ I purchased with it. I realize that not having the function isn't something Samsung would publish as an advertising point but had I known, I never would have purchased them and would have opted to wait for a future model.

Having been my first Samsung Watch, going from a Withings, I knew that previous Samsung Watches had the function so I assumed the one I purchased also had it. I spent quite a lot of money on the phone and watch and several other items including a stove.

Nonetheless, I am still disappointed that the function is neither on my Watch nor Phone. Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain. 😊
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I am not aware of any Samsung watches previous to the Watch 3 that had the Sp02 functionality. The Active 2 has the VoxMax, which I believe requires at least 20 minutes of running on a flat surface with good GPS coverage in order to appear at the end of the exercise.

Any watches prior to the Active 2, don't even have the sensors for it as far as I know.

Fitbit released a number of watches that had the sensor Inactive until Google acquired them and later activated it. Ionic, Charge 3 and Versa. Huawei did the same with the GT series.

So anything is possible I suppose regarding the Active 2, but the Watch 3 I believe is the first Samsung watch to actively have the function.
0 Likes