Original topic:

Automatic backups for Galaxy Watch 4 not happening.

(Topic created: 04-21-2022 04:12 AM)
realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch

Can anyone tell me why my Galaxy Watch 4 is not backing up automatically? I have a Galaxy S10 lite and the most recent version of the wearable app. I have the watch settings in the app to backup automatically, yet it appears that my watch only gets backed up when I do it manually.

At first, I thought it only backed up when a changes to the configuration/apps/settings were made, but that doesn't appear to be the case. My Active 2 backed up overnight while I was sleeping. The phone is connected to the internet at night, the screen is off, my watch is in bedtime mode so the screen is off and it is connected to the phone via Bluetooth. All the conditions for automatic backup are present, yet it does not backup on its own.

While we are on the subject, there really should be a way to tell at a glance when the last backup was, as now one has to go into the settings, backup & restore, select the restore setting and look and see what the date was of the last backup. I think there should be a little blurb under one of those settings that says "last backup on xx/xx/xxxx so we don't have to do all that clicking just to check. Maybe put the backup date right under the watch face right when you open the wearable app.

Also, who thought it would be a good idea to add the date when all I want to do is pull down the watch face to see the battery level???

6 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yes, I noticed similar behavior. It last backed up 03/03 and then never backed even though I configured auto backup
0 Likes
realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Interestinh, my last backup was 3/3 as well. At least until I manually just backed it up.
0 Likes
OnionWolf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Any solution to this? I only noticed this was happening when my Watch4 randomly got deleted off my Gear app on my Fold3 (apparently it was because of Google Assistant being integrated to the watch and when the phone and watch get disconnected from bluetooth, it disappears on the Gear app, but this is another tiring issue). Mine stopped backing up on September 2021 and this happened in June 2022. You should have see how frustrated I was when I found this out. "Keep your data safe" haha thanks. One by one, my Samsung devices start failing on me in the most ridiculous ways.

0 Likes
realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch

Apparently, in order to auto backup, both devices must have more than 30% power, the phone must be on a wi fi network and the watch connected via bluetooth, and both screens must be off. Usually, when I go to bed, my watch is at or below 30% -- that doesn't explain, however, why it wasn't updating at times both my phone and watch were idle and met those conditions. Seems to be backing up regularly now that I make sure that my watch is above 40% charge b4 bed

0 Likes
varunyellina
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same for me. I realised that my Galaxy Watch 4 didn't make any backups. Couple of months ago, the phone forgot its pairing to my Watch 4. The only way to reconnect them was to reset the Watch 4. This was tiresome because I found out that there was no backup.

To avoid future mishaps like this, I made a manual backup a month ago. Auto Backup was turned on by default.

Now a month later, I was curious to see if backups were happening. Unsurprisingly there were no more backups after my last manual backup. The Auto backup toggle was still on.

I charge my Watch 4 & Flip 3 for a few hours before sleeping. So, there was no case of low battery. Wifi is always on.

I'm so tired of this incompetent software.

0 Likes
cwinkler
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

I discovered a similar issue when I had to re-pair my Active4 and the last backup was done in Feb 2022 (and it was now June 2022). Did a manual backup once paired. I did notice that I had a backup on most items this morning which I didn't manually initiate. So maybe it's working now ... had a Wear update yesterday.

CWinkler
Galaxy S10+, Active2, Active4
0 Likes