cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Calorie count

How come after a workout it shows the same amount of calories burned regardless of how hard you go? It feels like if doesn't take the heart rate into account? It doesn't look like it gives an accurate reading..

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Calorie count

It doesn't, this is actually making me look more towards Garmin. I've tested this with a hard workout vs sitting in a chair not moving for 30 mins and got the same calorie counts.

I'm trying the Edomondo app to see if that gives more realistic numbers, but still shouldn't need to do that on a fitness focused smart watch.
Highlighted
Galaxy

Re: Calorie count

I've been reading this, along with the other thread that is showing perceived problems with the calorie count on the Watches, both Active, and Active 2.  I suspect, that like the Apple Watch, that the defined exercise categories do have a set calorie burn rate, but if you go "off grid" and choose "Other" they use a set calorie burn rate.  Apple does this, and many use that fact to circumvent the Apple "required" 30 minute per day exercise activity to "close the exercise ring".  If you choose the "other" category, rather than walk, run, bike, etc, the Apple watch estimates calorie burn from the time spent in the activity, rather than the heart rate.  Choosing the actual activity, requires you to reach a heart rate of "a brisk walk", but no one says what that heart rate is.  So, I would ask that when people say the calorie burn is "off" please let us know if you're using a preset exercise, ie. walk, run, bike ride, etc, or if you're using "other" because your specific activity isn't listed.  I've used the "Weight Machines" category, and the numbers are pretty close to those of the Apple Watch for the same or nearly the same time period.