JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Calories Burned Wrong on Galaxy watch

(Topic created: 05-06-2020 06:17 PM)
dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've been using my watch for three weeks and I love it overall.

My first workout was a little weird... It logged Elliptical work for 400 calories and logged another workout for 700 at the same time.

I start my workouts manually now and the calories burned are always low. I synchronize every workout in MapMyFitness through SHealth,  and the calories count transferred in the app are correct!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

80 Replies
userqE2PwIB66w
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a brand new GWA2 and I have the same issue with default Samsung health . I have updated my profile with weight goals and everything.  A 25 minutes vigorous HIIT workout at avg 159 bpm gives me 240 calories.  I installed the mapmyrun app and the same workout gave me 407 calories.  At least the mapmyrun syncs with the Samsung health app on my phone.   

This is really bad for a watch of this price. Thanks for the underarmor team who actually fixed the watch for me.

0 Likes
userbxslBKoYmo
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I find that if you select "other workout" it measures accurately. When you select a specific workout ie yoga I am guessing they have a pre programmed average or some sort of formula the counter is based on. This ends up resulting in a skewed / lower calorie burned count. For  example day 1 on "other workout" i burned 285 calories in a hot flow yoga class, the next day closer to 300. Today i selected "yoga"  versus "other" workout and despite same intensity and bpm measured, it was only 196 calories. I think this is the most accurate way to measure. 

0 Likes
userTRkAI52FP7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yes, same problem

0 Likes
user4Cu1xI20XR
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just tried out my SGA2 watch and yes the calorie counter was way off. I have a pair of jabra earbuds that calculate my calorie count and heart rate. Same work out, same time, same weight and height setting and I get approximately 750 calorie burn for a 45 min workout.

Used my SGA2 today and the calorie burn was 330. Kinda ridiculous how much of a difference it is. This is a $600 watch (I got the LTE) and you'd think it'd be kinda close.  Fix this Samsung!!! 

0 Likes
user5TcU3W68BB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have been trying to figure this out. I have done the same workout using different workout labels and it seems to average 200 calories for every 30 minutes. I have tested different intensity level workouts and again about 200 Cal's for 30 minutes. I tested last night by turning on Other Workouts while cooking dinner for 30 minutes and it says I burned 186 which was only 18 calories less than the 30 minute Beachbody Shift Shop (cardio) workout I did earlier in the day usinin the Other Workout setting. This is just sad. I guess I should have gone with a fit bit. 

0 Likes
usert0rAfeNZDj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a samsung galaxy watch and i'm really disappointed with it. I do insanity max 30 at home and no matter i do it always recrds 191/192 calories burned at the 30 minute mark. This has to be inaccurate because my heart rate is always high during this workout.  I'm 31 years at about 210 pounds. I should be burning upwards of 350 calories doing this intense workout. 

I think the samsung watch does not take your heart rate into account. I believe once they include the heart rate into the algorithm , it would calculate . I'm sure this can be done with a software update. 

If they can't fix this i may just sell my android devices and get an apple watch + iphone 12 when it released. 

0 Likes
userlSxFJid2mV
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just purchased my Active 2 a few days ago so I still have time to return it.  I love my samsung phone and I love that the weight management widget tells you what your calorie deficit is but...  It doesn't seem to incorporate your heart rate into the calories burned equation. Time spent exercising, expecially during a workout that doesn't measure distance, shows the same calorie burn no matter how hard you work to get your heart rate up.  I'm going to return it and let samsung work this out and try again later.  Right now I think I will get a Fitbit, cheaper anyway.

0 Likes
userPx7OEqrCIl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same here!!! Always reads around 270 calories for an intense workout, doesn't seem to recognise when I go harder/slower or have a break. Once, I forgot to finish the workout and put my watch in my coat pocket whilst having a shower and it counted another 100 calories in my pocket, no movement or heartrate!

Think they have a set "calorie amount" they think each workout should burn and just set it to that.

0 Likes
userIoSeTRGcpi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Mine is always 160 every 30  mins.

0 Likes
users7wL6hFEqq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Recently bought a rose gold 42 mm, and wore it for the first time at work. I did a 19 hour shift. 3 more hours and I'll have been up for 24 straight hours. As it stands, I'm at 1985 calories burned. LOL ๐Ÿ˜‚ Fix ๐Ÿคจ

0 Likes