JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Calories Burned Wrong on Galaxy watch

(Topic created: 03-04-2019 01:37 PM)
dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've been using my watch for three weeks and I love it overall.

My first workout was a little weird... It logged Elliptical work for 400 calories and logged another workout for 700 at the same time.

I start my workouts manually now and the calories burned are always low. I synchronize every workout in MapMyFitness through SHealth,  and the calories count transferred in the app are correct!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

80 Replies
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand your frustration with the calories being off while using your Galaxy watch. The Samsung Health app on your watch monitors how many calories you burn in real time and records exercise information, like your step count. The burned calorie data is intended for fitness and informational purposes only. It is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. Available features, menu options, and settings may vary by the watch, wireless service provider, and software version.  Give this link  a try for more information on how Samsung calculates calories burned: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01003163/#learn-how-the-smartwatch-measures-bu...

I would also recommend reaching out to our S-Health team directly at 855-795-0509 if you need any further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userhVOWKR2L0P
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

it stinks for calorie counting..not even close.  I could sit on my couch and it would count as many calories as a full blown kickboxing workout for an hour

userfeBnP59mBu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

After a few experiments, I have determined that the watch or more correctly the Samsung Health app running on the watch is NOT using the heart rate information that is being collected to calculate calorie burn although that is definitely what I and anyone purchasing this watch for fitness tracking would expect.

In my case, I have been selecting the "Other Workout" as there is nothing that matches the workout that I am doing. The default is for a moderate level of activity which results in a very low calorie count and after 30 minutes, it is always the same value. As you mentioned it doesn't matter if you are actively working out or sitting on the couch, the calories burn will be the same.

I changed the activity level from moderate to vigorous which can only be done between workouts and not during) and the calorie count nearly doubled and again was a constant value for that setting.

I did tweek my weight and noticed a small change in the calories burned so I believe that weight. Without doing further experiments, I don't know if height, gender or activity selected factor into their computation, but it is clear that BPM do not which is very, very disappointing.

Update: I have done experiments by changing height, gender, and age with none of them having an impact on the calorie count so it looks like weight and a pre-defined, coarsely-grained activity level (as opposed to a measured heart rate) are all that is factored into the calories burned computation.

userfeBnP59mBu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Can someone from Samsung Customer Service answer whether or not the watch version of the Samsung Health app been updated to utilize HR in the calculation of calories burned during a workout?

MetalPirate
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yeah, it's really irritating. I'm going to try the Edomondo app from UnderArmor since it syncs back to Samsung Health to see if it gives me better numbers. I'm really considering going Garmin for my next watch, or just selling my GA2 and going for a Venu sometime soon due to this. It's a great watch, but it's being sold as a fitniss focused devices and not using heart rate in a calorie calculation makes it basically useless on that front.

userX67eV0MbCy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Exactly the same with mine. Calories burned are always the same no matter how intense the workouts are it always records the same amount

lisagiggs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
how do you change the activity level from moderate to vigorous?
0 Likes
userkD8TIj1cAP
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

You dead set I spent over 700 on this watch? 

0 Likes
userUj8ce5olwQ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm based in the UK - who do I contact for help? After last watch update calorie tracking for the same distance run is now consistently 2/3rds what it was before the update.