cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Watch Active Calorie Count too Low Sometimes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue for me, Endomondo reports significantly higher calorie consumption. Might be related to the fact that Samsung healt reports way too low calorie consumption while resting? 

Several calculators reports my average daily calorie consumption to 3.300. Seems about right, I'm 181, about 100 kg, and even if I do have a bit too much fat, I also have a lot of muscles. Samsung suggest that my average daily consumption should be 2.300 calories, so if I wanna loose weight I should eat like 2.000 calories a day.

I'd definitely loose weight at 2.000 calories a day...

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Samsung Galaxy watch seemed low on its calorie count so I ran a test. I ran 3 miles on a treadmill at a moderate pace and it took me 36 minutes. I tracked myself on my Samsung Galaxy Watch using S Health. I also used a Wahoo Tickr X chest strap and tracked it on the Wahoo App. Finally I used the Bose Soundsport Pulse heart rate monitoring headphones connected to the Digifit ICardio app. The age, height, and weight settings were the same in each. I reset each device before starting. Here are the results:
The Samsung Watch: 369 Calories burned, 137 avg HR, 179 Max HR, showed 21 minutes at max zone.
Wahoo Chest Sensor: 522 Calories burned, 137 avg HR, 154 Max HR, Showed 36 min in peak zone.
Bose/ICardio Sensor: 651 Calories burned, 155 avg HR, 185 Max HR, Showed 23 min zone 5 and above.
So who do I trust? Why is the Samsung so low? This can’t all be written off to algorhythm differences. What gives?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Im having the same issue I finished a session of insanity with a average heart beat of 135 for 40 min with both my fitbit ionic  and my samsung active watch on to compair. The fitbit had me at 437 while my samsung came in at a stagering 260. Has anyone made any tracktion on this or has samsung responded yet?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did go into a Samsung store here in Canada and mentioned the calorie issue (mine being too low) and the manager told me it was a known issue and Samsung is working on it. I don't know if that's true or not, but I would definitely hope it is given how off it is.

I went for a 10K run (6.2 miles) with my heart rate being mainly in vigorous or maximum ranges for 62 mins (so that's about 162bps for an average heart rate...my resting heart rate is in the 60s) and my watch reported 521 calories burned which is off by about 200 calories compared to my Garmin Forerunner 235 that I used to wear. I've even tried to put in all my info into online running calculators and they were all roughly between 650-750 calories burned for my gender, age, height, weight, distance, speed, etc.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem, my workouts always consist of weight lifting and cardio sometimes the workout is light (heart rate 80-100) and other times the workout is very intense (heart rate 135-165) and the calories burned are exactly the same! I bought this watch because it was supposed to be for "active" individuals, but it makes it very difficult to track calories burned if they are always the same no matter the intensity of the workout is.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having the same issue as well! I am an avid indoor cyclist in class as well as a Hiker. My last 2 cycle classes were 60 mins long with intense cardio (abm was 168) and said I only burned 29 calories. 29!! What in the world?  Went for a 18 mile hike over 2 days only burnt 250 (hiked 7 hours each day)  something is WAY off!!!

@SK9 wrote:

So I know that a lot of people have complained about the Galaxy Watch calculating calories as too high but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the opposite problem. I just received my Galaxy Watch Active two days ago and I've only used to a few times to track workouts but I've noticed that the calorie count for some of the workouts seems too low. When I went to the gym and used the watch to track a kettlebell workout I did (I just used the circuit training option on the watch) it says that for a 22 min workout with an average heart rate of 129bpm that I only burned 77 calories. If I use calorie burn calculators on the internet both ones that take into account heart rate and ones that don't they say that for my age, height and weight that I should have burned anywhere between 128-175 calories. 

The even weirder thing is that when I have taken my dogs for a 25 minute walk around the block the watch calculates that I have burned around 156 calories even though my average heart rate was only 126 bpm. Am I just using the wrong workout setting to track my workouts? Does anyone know if there is a way to edit a workout on your Samsung health app to change the calories burned?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can fix this by editing your weight, height, age, and gender. 

1. Go to the Samsung Health App and find the Weight tab. If you don't have this tab go to Manage Items at the bottom right and scroll until you find it. Once you find it, click the little + sign then click save.
  2. Once you are in the Weight section, enter your current weight.
  3. After you do that you need to go to the Weight management tab. If you don't have the tab, repeat the step above. 
  4. Enter your information.

I did this when I starting tracking my weight so I don't remember exactly what tabs ask for your height, weight, age, and gender but after you edit this it will put into account your wreight and BMI. Its somewhere in there. Mess around with the Samsung Health App and you'll find those settings. Its an okay app for tracking weight, calories and such. That should help you get more accurate calories. Hopefully this helps you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have that issue also.in fact I use my gearS3 and I burn far more calories than when using the watch active,2

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having this same issue with my Gaalxy Watch Active2.  I have been testing it out compared to my Polar Vantage V which I have paired to a Polar H10 chest strap.  I am actually super improessed with the optical heart rate monitor on the Galaxy Watch Active2 as it is VERY close to the readings from the H10 at all times with maybe just a couple of second delay, which is to be expected.  The problem is that even with that accurate heart rate tracking, the calories burned are WAY off.  Today I did a 1 hour and 48 minute workout which consisted of 36 minutes on an elliptical, a 40 minute lifting workout and a 12 minute ab workout, with a little bit of down time in between.  The Polar Vantaage shows 1183 calories burned during the workout while the Galaxy Watch Active2 only shows 621 calories burned which is obviously way off.  All of my stats are entered correctly in Samsung Health.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue.  My old fit gear 2 show double number of burned calories from the same workout. 

What's going wrong with developers from Samsung?

Why it was possible before and now with a brand new galaxy watch active 2 i have wrong data???