JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Calories Burned Wrong on Galaxy watch

(Topic created: 10-01-2019 10:52 AM)
dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've been using my watch for three weeks and I love it overall.

My first workout was a little weird... It logged Elliptical work for 400 calories and logged another workout for 700 at the same time.

I start my workouts manually now and the calories burned are always low. I synchronize every workout in MapMyFitness through SHealth,  and the calories count transferred in the app are correct!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

80 Replies
useriAnRxAnJWe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having the same problem, my workouts always consist of weight lifting and cardio sometimes the workout is light (heart rate 80-100) and other times the workout is very intense (heart rate 135-165) and the calories burned are exactly the same! I bought this watch because it was supposed to be for "active" individuals, but it makes it very difficult to track calories burned if they are always the same no matter the intensity of the workout is.

0 Likes
userrDjVK48Bps
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Having the same issue as well! I am an avid indoor cyclist in class as well as a Hiker. My last 2 cycle classes were 60 mins long with intense cardio (abm was 168) and said I only burned 29 calories. 29!! What in the world?  Went for a 18 mile hike over 2 days only burnt 250 (hiked 7 hours each day)  something is WAY off!!!

@SK9 wrote:

So I know that a lot of people have complained about the Galaxy Watch calculating calories as too high but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the opposite problem. I just received my Galaxy Watch Active two days ago and I've only used to a few times to track workouts but I've noticed that the calorie count for some of the workouts seems too low. When I went to the gym and used the watch to track a kettlebell workout I did (I just used the circuit training option on the watch) it says that for a 22 min workout with an average heart rate of 129bpm that I only burned 77 calories. If I use calorie burn calculators on the internet both ones that take into account heart rate and ones that don't they say that for my age, height and weight that I should have burned anywhere between 128-175 calories. 

The even weirder thing is that when I have taken my dogs for a 25 minute walk around the block the watch calculates that I have burned around 156 calories even though my average heart rate was only 126 bpm. Am I just using the wrong workout setting to track my workouts? Does anyone know if there is a way to edit a workout on your Samsung health app to change the calories burned?

0 Likes
userx5YzXAlKWS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

You can fix this by editing your weight, height, age, and gender. 

1. Go to the Samsung Health App and find the Weight tab. If you don't have this tab go to Manage Items at the bottom right and scroll until you find it. Once you find it, click the little + sign then click save.
  2. Once you are in the Weight section, enter your current weight.
  3. After you do that you need to go to the Weight management tab. If you don't have the tab, repeat the step above. 
  4. Enter your information.

I did this when I starting tracking my weight so I don't remember exactly what tabs ask for your height, weight, age, and gender but after you edit this it will put into account your wreight and BMI. Its somewhere in there. Mess around with the Samsung Health App and you'll find those settings. Its an okay app for tracking weight, calories and such. That should help you get more accurate calories. Hopefully this helps you.

0 Likes
userF1zMIB2LvL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have that issue also.in fact I use my gearS3 and I burn far more calories than when using the watch active,2

0 Likes
Samsung_RmGNhA7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having this same issue with my Gaalxy Watch Active2.  I have been testing it out compared to my Polar Vantage V which I have paired to a Polar H10 chest strap.  I am actually super improessed with the optical heart rate monitor on the Galaxy Watch Active2 as it is VERY close to the readings from the H10 at all times with maybe just a couple of second delay, which is to be expected.  The problem is that even with that accurate heart rate tracking, the calories burned are WAY off.  Today I did a 1 hour and 48 minute workout which consisted of 36 minutes on an elliptical, a 40 minute lifting workout and a 12 minute ab workout, with a little bit of down time in between.  The Polar Vantaage shows 1183 calories burned during the workout while the Galaxy Watch Active2 only shows 621 calories burned which is obviously way off.  All of my stats are entered correctly in Samsung Health.

0 Likes
Akimonik
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the same issue.  My old fit gear 2 show double number of burned calories from the same workout. 

What's going wrong with developers from Samsung?

Why it was possible before and now with a brand new galaxy watch active 2 i have wrong data???

0 Likes
usertIrI8oQedg
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am having the exact same issue. I bought my GWA2 last week and noticed, after a full day of walking around NYC, that it was suggesting I had only burned 1300 kcal. Only that I previously had a Fitbit would I know how low that figure is for me - even on my most sedentary days! Then, I came home and went back to F45 where I also use the F45 Lionheart HRM chest strap. I was excited to see how the GWA2 performed during a really intense workout but, I was disappointed to see huge discrepancies between it and the HRM strap. For instance, today I did a 60 minute class and, per the HRM, I burned 812 kcal but, per the watch, I burned 255 kcal. Now, I have always suspected that the F45 HRM calorie burn was inflated but, the Fitbit used to show a reading of approx two thirds of the HRM which I was happy to go by. I really hope Samsung address this - I bought the GWA2 for the sole purpose of its fitness tracking capabilities. 

0 Likes
userP43cAC0fq0
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

It's disappointing not to see a response on this from Samsung... I've had my watch for only 3 months but have been really frustrated by the obvious under calculating calories. I had a fitbit 1st then a fossil Gen 4 (which i now wish i simply replaced like for like when it broke) prior to my active, both of which would track around 400-500 calories for a 45 minute HIIT/bootcamp/circuit session. Its pretty much my standard sessions each week so I'm fairly confident the stats were right. On my active it never gets about 270 calories! My HR is up to 176, with an average of 140, so for my height and weight and age, 270 is definitely on the low side! 

Been on the phone to samsung support today and they ran me through a trouble shooting reboot, and have asked me to call back if it continues. At which point they will send my phone off for repairs .. hmmmm... not sure that'll solve the issue?! Will mention this thread when i speak to them again - frankly i want to return it and jump back on Fossils ship! 

0 Likes
userImYdRNHNlj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Omg i have the same problem. I had a Fitbit before and decided to give the Samsung watch a try  but i hate that doesn't calculate the calories correctly.  Any way to fix this?

0 Likes
userbCtcx43baq
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung, this isn't that complicated!

At least not to get a pretty good estimate

Your galaxy fit is off by at least a factor of 2, maybe more

Here are the equations

Male: Calories/min = (-55.0969 + (0.6309 * Heart Rate) + (0.1988 * Weight) + (0.2017 * Age)) / 4.184
Female: Calories/min = (-20.4022 + (0.4472 * Heart Rate) - (0.1263 * Weight) + (0.074 * Age)) / 4.184

(weight in kg, btw)

I got this from calculatorpro.com, but it appears in numerous articles on the web.  I think this is total caolorie burn, not activity calorie burn, so it includes your resting calorie burn.  Some fitness bands do it this way, some don't.

Samsung, fix your software and give us an update!

Fix your software and give us an update!