Original topic:

Can I leave my phone at home while running with the Watch 5 Pro?

(Topic created: 03-23-2024 06:19 AM)
WilliamMunny
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I've started running again and taking my S22+ with me is a bit inconvenient. I'm considering getting the Samsung Watch 5 Pro. Am I able to leave my phone at home and still listen to music/receive calls via Bluetooth ear buds?

Also does the 5 Pro monitor my runs in terms of slope distance or is it just going by maps? 
17 Replies
kingtutt
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
You can get calls and listen to music if you have cell service. Or listen to music if you download it ti your :watch:️
0 Likes
WilliamMunny
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ah gotcha so I'd have to contact my provider and pay for the watch like another phone for streaming and calls? Do you know if the gps tracking works without cell service?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
GPS works without cell service to your watch. 5PRO also has GPX capabilities meaning that you can download a route to your watch for tracking back a route even without GPS available. Again, GPS is independent of cellular service.
If you want to make /receive calls, stream music on your watch without your mobile then as others have said, you need the LTE version.
I have the LTE 5Pro and it works well, but be prepared that using cellular, 4GLTE, and GPS will take a big battery hit.
I usually don't stream music, rather, download it first before heading out on a run. Less of a battery drain.
Amazon has some good options with the watch 5Pro and the Samsung fabric wrist band, which in my opinion, is the best for exercising, gym, walking, running, biking, etc.
Got mine on sale when it was 50% off. Some colors are available at the sale price.

SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch 6, 5, 4 Series Fabric Band, Slim, Nylon for Men and Women, Smartwatch Replacement Strap, One Click Attachment, Small/Medium, ET-SVR93SBEGUJ, Black https://a.co/d/7NkYn69
WilliamMunny
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks, that actually answered a lot of questions I had about using the watch for running 🙂
Options
Galaxy Watch
GPS tracking does NOT require an internet connection.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@WilliamMunny The cell service will only be applicable if your Watch 5 Pro is an LTE version. The cellular connection is not available on a Watch 5 Pro Bluetooth version. 

WilliamMunny
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm glad you mentioned that. I wasn't even aware of two versions. Thanks!
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yes, there are two versions, an LTE version can act like a BT version if the sim is not activated. The BT version cannot be provisioned for mobile service. You may be able to get the LTE version from your carrier free by activating the line of service.
The_Square
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
If not, LTE:

" In general, you need to have at least 10 meters or 30 feet of connectivity to retain the connection between the phone and the Samsung smartwatch."

https://wearablehacks.com/how-far-away-can-the-samsung-smartwatch-be-from-the-phone/