cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoodzy
Astronaut

Can't separate steps from phone and Galaxy Watch

Using the Samsung Health app for close to a year now in conjunction with a Galaxy Watch, which I use to track my steps, workouts, eating, and weight management.  Until recently, I have restricted my step tracker to the galaxy watch only as to not overcount my steps. This morning, however, I noticed an unusually high step count and realized my phone had counted all of the steps from my morning bike ride.  When trying to change the settings, in the help menu it states "Steps from the following watches can't be viewed seperately: Galaxy Watch".  This is not minor either, with 80% of my steps coming from my phone only. 

If I can't trust my calorie output, then there's no point in me using weight management tool, and then no point in logging my food.  Is there something going on that I don't understand?  If this is just how it is I will have to find another app. 

10 REPLIES 10
BigGreek19
Constellation

Re: Can't separate steps from phone and Galaxy Watch

I wish someone from Samsung replied to this. I can't figure out why they changed this. I've been able to separate my steps since the Note 8. Now all of a sudden with the note 10 we can't. What the heck Samsung. 

user6LOWOWFGqD
Constellation

Have they helped u figure this out yet ??

Lwd77
Constellation

Same issue and customer support is no healp

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

What type of device are you using with the watch?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userGGqoex9uSf
Asteroid

This happens with the GWA2 and a Note 9 as well. There is a workaround, which is to disable step counting on the phone. However this means we miss any steps which would be counted by the phone if we aren't wearing the watch.

As a customer it would be very helpful to be able to separate steps tracked per device, as this would give us the flexibility to track our steps while deciding which device(s) we'll have with us at any point. Combining the steps from multiple devices causes double-counting.

user6fPFpa0V4X
Constellation

Can you explain how to turn off step counting on the phone?  The "Auto activity tracking" switch in S Health on the phone is grayed out.

usergDjGo36D4r
Astronaut

In Samsung Health on my S10+, go to the Steps page. Tap the dots in upper right, view step count data. Tap the All Steps button in the center with the little link icon. Tap on Mobile Phone Only. Once viewing Mobile Phone Only steps, tap the dots in the upper right again, and you should be able to PAUSE MOBILE PHONE STEP TRACKING. Shame that its such a complicated workaround, and difficult to find on ones own.

userXM84yECByu
Constellation

I just purchased the active 2 and I am having the same problem.  I used to have the gear fit 2, I was able to separate my step count with that watch. I am unable to delete the gear fit 2 out of the app. It still list it as a watch. When I use the phone and watch tep count I get my watch count. When I use phone step count I get the phone. When I use the gear step count I get 0. I hope someone can help with this problem.

user6fPFpa0V4X
Constellation

I had this same problem.  4500 steps were detected by my phone during my bike ride.  How to disable this feature?  I have a Galaxy Watch Active 1.