Original topic:

Can the Active2 Watch LTE locate phone using LTE?

(Topic created: 08-16-2021 04:23 PM)
reyangelo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

We purchased the Active2 watches. I am trying to understand if the Active2 can locate my phone using "Find My Phone" using the LTE network. I have tested using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, this works as expected. My question though is with regards to using exclusively the LTE network (which I purchased this particular watch version for).

Normally, if I am on the trail would like to understand the ability to use my LTE (unlimited) network connection. I don't use Bluetooth much and not going to have a Wi-Fi connection available, so if LTE is such a strong network is there a reason I can't use it to "find my phone"? Or is the watch LTE connection weak to locate the phone? Any help would be appreciated, would like to be able to use my watch to locate the phone in cases of emergencies.

Thanks

4 Replies
ARMY54
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I currently have a business account and gave no less than 7 Samsung phones all with 5g capability. I have had no 5g service at all in several cities that I travel to. AT&T keeps saying that that while it is advertised 5g connections are not garrentied. This is why I am looking into other more reliable service.
0 Likes
reyangelo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@ARMY54 I am not sure how this applies to the original question, but I can safely inform that I have 8 devices as a consumer (4 Active2 LTE and 2 S9 4G and 2 S21 5G). So far, all devices have great 4G and 5G connectivity including many rural areas (we go to trails, mountain biking, etc.). I would probably say your experience may be more a carrier related issue than a device. I have Verizon, it is not cheap but very reliable - given the fact we don't travel as much due to restriction we invested on the unlimited verizon service. Goodluck.

0 Likes
reyangelo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I couldn't find an answer on the forums, which is reason I posted the question. But while I had been troubleshooting this on my own I was able to find the answer and figured I'd share it. For myself, it helped and only seemed to work by ensuring that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi were both turned off. I work in technology and one of the items which we run into is messages going across channels, so just used the same concept but with the connectivity (in this case). I tried two of our four watches, worked like a charm.

This idea came mainly because yesterday I was on the trail and thought I had misplaced or dropped my phone. I found it in a different pocket in our backpack and sent a message to my wife immediate (to add to calendar regarding watch/gps/find phone). Again, now I have a method to find my phone using LTE (not Bluetooth and not Wi-Fi) while outside of range.  [PLUS: If need be, will use desktop version if someone is with me that has a mobile phone to login via the "https://findmymobile.samsung.com/" .

0 Likes
reyangelo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

One more time, while still testing this - somehow it works with Bluetooth on (via the Watch) along with the LTE and with Bluetooth OFF on the phone. Hopefully this continues to function like this, but if it doesn't I'll turn the Active2 Bluetooth OFF.

May be this started to function with the Bluetooth on via the Active2 after the (Off/On) similar to a recycle of a service. I am not sure, but prior to performing these steps none of the watches would locate my phone (with Bluetooth OFF) using LTE only on the Active2 with Bluetooth and LTE on simultaneously. Again, hope its of some value as I describe the full experience. 

0 Likes