cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Disabling Bixby

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 and have been pretty disappointed but the worst thing is Bixby. In theory, it sounds really handy, but it always chooses other contacts when I try to text/call my wife because I have contacts with the same names as my wife. Even if I include her last name in my command, it will instead text her last name to the other person instead. πŸ€ͺ

I can't find any solution around this so I've given up on Bixby and tried contacting Samsung support to see if there is a way to kill Bixby to try to get some battery life back instead of running a service that I'm never going to use (that's why I stopped buying Samsung phones because they come with useless baked in services that you can't disable completely that suck your battery dry). The rep said that I could change my settings when double pressing the home button to anything else and that it would put Bixby into "sleep mode", which of course it doesn't because you can still use Bixby by saying "Hi Bixby". When I followed up, they said that I couldn't disable it completely.

Is this rep right? Can I really not remove, or at least disable Bixby?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Disabling Bixby

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userl5txUx8asv ,

It looks like a Reddit post has mentioned a way to do this, and you got the first step done correctly. Here is a screenshot of that method. It looks like you must disable it then choose another option in it's place to completely disable both it's hard key, and voice operation.Bixby Disable Key.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userl5txUx8asv ,

It looks like a Reddit post has mentioned a way to do this, and you got the first step done correctly. Here is a screenshot of that method. It looks like you must disable it then choose another option in it's place to completely disable both it's hard key, and voice operation.Bixby Disable Key.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, this looks like it's the closest solution for what I'm looking for, but I highly doubt that this is preventing bixby from running at all. I was just thinking of trying to disable (from running at all) all of the useless features that I don't use in order to save battery life, but Samsung has a history of preventing users from choosing what chews up their battery.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As I do not like the locked in tech of Apple any more, I decided to try an A71 and bought/received it 2 days ago . I discover Bixby and with that features that seem to double down on Android's intrusions. As Bixby wants to record my face, voice and i wonder what I did not yet discover, I have 3 options: 1) uninstall it 2) disable it in such a way that it will not switch back on without me restarting it 3) send the phone back. I would appreciate your counsel, and for 1) or 2) the How To? Thanks

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That just stops it from listening, but it would still be running and I'm trying to extend the battery life by stopping all unnecessary services.

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It sounds like you don't have a Samsung phone now? If I may ask what phone you have paired with your active 2? 

I say this because when you have the wearable app on a samsung phone, you have way more options to customize. You would have the option to remove any apps, as well as choose the action you want when you double press home. 

One other thing you can do is just not allow any permissions for bixby within your watch. That way it never sets up or starts up when you say HiBixby. 

One other thing you can try is going into the Bixby app and within the screen top right corner you have the settings icon, you can completely disable bixby through that. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, I gave up on Samsung phones on my last upgrade because the bloatware and unwanted baked in, unremovable apps just started to get excessive and I noticed that my phones would get exponentially slower with each OS update. So this time I went with a OnePlus as someone reccomend it to me as one of the "lightest" (just an OS and a phone without numerous services running on startup that you can't disable that aren't needed) phones out there, which should help my phone last longer.

I know that you get more options if you have a Samsung phone, but I don't need those and someone reccomend the Active 2 as a really good wearable for health, which is all I was looking for. If any other features worked, then that's a bonus. But as expected, a lot of the other features don't work that well (eg: can't use bixby to contact my wife because I have another contact with the same name), so I'd like to be able to stop them from running at all to reduce the drain on my battery, but I would bet my life that setting bixby to not listen for voice like the person above suggested doesn't actually prevent the bixby service from constantly running on my watch. 😭

So yeah, I don't have any of the options that you described to disable bixby.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On my A71 Bixby does not allow me to deny preset permissions to about anything? Do I do something wrong ?

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As far as i'm aware, you can turn the hi bixby feature off from the Bixby application on your samsung device. Outside of that, changing the bixby button from the Galaxy Wearables app should turn off the double press option.  Have you tried turning bixby voice options from the bixby app directly?