So I think the reason why is because you need to have the Samsung Health Monitor app, which is only available on the Galaxy store. You may be able to find an alternate way of getting it. That's the only reason I can see as to why this would only work on Galaxy phones. The phone itself isn't doing the work...the watch is. So if you can find a way to get the app on a non Samsung phone it should work.
This feature locking to galaxy phones is unacceptable and monopolistic behavior. This makes me never want to buy Samsung again. I am very upset now that I purchased this watch. Who knows what other features on other devices (TV's, appliances, laptops, tablets, phones, watches, etc) they will lock to only Samsung products. Please fix this ASAP and allow this on all android phones. If not I fear your brand will suffer major customer backlash for this.
EKG won't work on non-Samsung phones. So madright now.
• VO2max : Check the maximum amount of oxygen you utilize during exercise to improve your endurance.
• Added the new Samsung Health Monitor App for ECG Measurements.
(※ Available on Galaxy smartphones with Android 7.0 and later.)
• Detect falls : Watch can send out SOS call and messages to emergency contact when a hard fall is detected.
• Enhanced Notification : Upon receiving a message notification, a chat window appears and can also view images.
• AR Emoji/Bitmoji : Send AR Emoji and Bitmoji through the watch.
• Capture : Supports scroll capture feature that automatically sends the screen-capture image to the phone.
New Samsung Galaxy Watch3 user (former Fitbit, Mac head with no Apple Watch [six different models, still stuck at 18 hours max battery time]), bought device in time for new ECG feature.
Unfortunately, it needs an app named "Samsung Health Monitor" (not "Samsung Health"), but I can't find it anywhere on the Galaxy app for IOS or within the watch's Galaxy Store (there was an update yesterday for the Watch3/Tizen OS software, but that didn't seem to be related to the Samsung Health Monitor app).
Any other users, Mac heads or not, that may have a solution?. Thanks in advance.
All I have to say on this is Samsung has now stepped into the territory as a garbage company. Watch 2 active buyers have been waiting for this feature for A YEAR and now it's be locked to Samsungs devices like this after promising it so long.
This a clear power move for the eco system to become like Apple, well sorry, I won't bite, my last Samsung device I will ever buy and I regret it.