JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

GPS accuracy

(Topic created: 01-11-2021 05:18 AM)
useraBMsGK3jE6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am disappointed with the Samsung Galaxy watch. Based on ‘good’ reviews I bought it half a year ago. But from all the Strava recordings I’ve seen, Samsung GPS is by far worst in class. This becomes very evident on a running track. Compared to others, it looks ridiculous. It’s frustrating me. I’m only a little step away from buying a Garmin.

I assume this is caused by Samsung hardware. Do you know if I can do anything to improve GPS accuracy?

5 Replies
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Watch
off like how? you ran 5 miles and it says 1.5? the speed off or direction? is the calibration wrong and need to be zeroed out or realined with the sats GPS signal... (just asking cause from personal experience, from all sources, carrier, emergency, apps, records left, and no matter how many times I corrected it, the approximate location for me was the opposite side of the bubble radius of whatever art of miles used. Had to fix that.)
0 Likes
useraBMsGK3jE6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I’ve attached a screenshot of a 3.000m athletics competition. These were participants in the same series. We all followed the inner corners. Black line is mine and see the inaccuracy . Distance measured on my watch was 3.29 km (+10%).

For others, the GPS followed the track much more accurate and their distance came close to 3.00 km. I’ve multiple examples to these kind of running on track.

Knipsel.PNG

0 Likes
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Watch
just curious... do you know if the GPS distance measurement is from actually tracking constantly or does it check in repeatedly and use like say, the watches gyro type counter maybe used as a step counter based on body motions and then kind of filling in the gaps it has for an estimated distance and not an actual distance traveled? it probably does/or can do both and might be displaying the unwanted info? try this... walk, then jog, then full speed 100 meters should be big enough, or 150. use the step counter either from the wearable if available and/or anther. record the steps for each and verify distance you set to do with the counters stated distance traveled that... lol... hopefully will be the same weather your running or not. then the same three using just the GPS info. then just drive to the store a mile from your house one day using both at the same time. (note, step trackers can and do "count" while driving or even just shaking back and forth broadly.) if it does great, record both those results. that'll give you all the info you need about the whole set up from phone to watch to sensors to location to GPS to... ect... sounds like a lot but takes like 3 mins total. the discrepancy between the two ways of, and between short distance projected out to the mile vs the tracked for that mile, the margin for error so to speak, would let me, you, or Samsung, repair place... if it's the service or the equipment and how to help you troubleshoot the issue and if it can be resolved. mine started with a bigger gap then +10, like 43 miles, but in that type of situation. a measured distance with odd results
0 Likes
useraBMsGK3jE6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Since Samsung Health is not correctly uploading distances to Strava, I'm using Gear Tracker. This is on excellent running app.

Gear Treaker is using watch GPS for Distance and has Logging per 1 second. Running on streets is quite accurate including short corners. On track it doesn't follow the wide 100m corner.

Solution
useraBMsGK3jE6
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I posted same question on Gear Tracker community. Runners confirmed that Samsung Watch GPS is notorious inaccurate on running track. Smiley Sad

0 Likes