Original topic:

Galaxy Active 2- accuracy of calorie counter

(Topic created: 06-22-2021 09:01 AM)
BerkshireBum
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My wife has the Galaxy Active 2. Our understanding was that the watch was able to track calories burned and heart rate. But we question that, the accuracy anyway. We exercise 3-4 mornings a week.No matter what exercise we do, no matter the level of intensity, the result is ALWAYS the same as far as calories burned. How is that possible ? Is the calories burned solely based on length of time of exercise session, no matter what level of intensity ?

Bruce Miller
3 Replies
usersaWH91VVv6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know the calorie counter is off. I use the circuit training app 3x week. It always gives me the same burn rate at 30 minutes, regardless of intensity. So, one night I sat on the couch and started the circuit training mode - and voila, the same calories burned sitting on the couch for 30 mins. Super disappointing.
BerkshireBum
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

It’s pretty outrageous if you ask me. What is the benefit of purchasing the Galaxy Active 2 rather than the regular Galaxy Watch, which I have, if it doesn’t accurately calculate calories ? I think you’re better off purchasing the regular Galaxy Watch. I’m planning to do a test. Tomorrow my wife and I will switch watches while exercising to see what her results are wearing my watch which seems to provide more accuracy with calories, as my calorie count changes based on the workout I do. What a scam ! 

Bruce Miller
0 Likes
oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Unfortunately, it's a known fact that the Samsung suite of watches/apps, calculate calories based upon your own metrics, (height, weight, age, and whether you're male or female. The word used to describe that particular metric was rewarded with a "Bleep"... LOL) and time exercising.  That's why all activities (except run and bike, I think) are calculated the same, whether you're doing Yoga, or HIIT.  I know it's not the "right" way to calculate like Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and other "real" fitness watches, but that's not the target crowd of the Samsung watches.  Sad, but it's a fact of life.

This action also will mess up many other of your health metrics, like recovery time, your zones, EPOC, and other things that many non-gym rat types use to determine how hard to hit it today, or rest until tomorrow to allow their bodies to fully recover.  Exercising too early can lead to sprains, strains, muscle pulls, and all sorts of other problems.