cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy Active2 watch water damaged and warranty voided...

I will NEVER AGAIN purchase a Samsung Galaxy watch. First purchased watch was a Galaxy Frontier about 2 years ago. Started acting weird and eventually stopped turning on. Sent to Samsung repair (under warranty) and they came back to me with a "not covered under warranty due to water damage" claim and denied warranty repair. I argued and pushed but they were having none of it. The watch has never been near water.  I did however wear the watch for a heart rate monitoring and tracking with my Strava app during cycling. When you do workouts, you sweat. I suppose that's where the water damage might have come from. I chalked it up for 1. the watch not being "active" ready and 2. me not being the most careful while exercising and sweating. 

Fast forward another year. The Active2 comes out (Model #SM-R820NZKCXAR). I start getting excited and read all the specs and it's IP67 water resistent capabilty (not water proof, I realize the difference). So I pull the trigger and drop antoher $300 and purchased the Active2 watch December  of 2019. Due to Covid and some injuries I've had, I have not used the watch "actively" all that much. I would say I've been on 15 bike rides since purchase of watch. The last ride, the watch shut down on me and has never come back on. I returned it to Samsung for repair and wouldn't you know, it's not being covered under warranty again and they want to charge me $220.00 to repair it. I'm so irate at Samsung and their service department. Why on earth would Samsung make a watch and call it "Active2" where it promotes to use it for activities like running, swimming, biking, etc. where it's expected to be in contact with moisture?! But then, when the watch stops working due to poor technology design and architecture, they pass the buck to the unsuspecting innocent consumer who is out yet another $300. I'm disgusted, angry, dissapointed and frustrated at Samsung. Most of all, I'm upset at myself for buying another Samsung watch.  Shame Samsung made an inferior product with horrible designe and won't own the shortcomings and flaws of the product while taking care of their customers with no questions asked. This does not bode well for them at all. I'm over Samsung wearables. This time for good. 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Comet

Re: Galaxy Active2 watch water damaged and warranty voided...

That's weird. I wash mine all the time from the sweat from my workouts and I haven't had this issue. Did you purchase it from Samsung directly?
Highlighted
Asteroid

Same here - I also use mine for swimming and have had no issues.

It seems odd that they won't honour a warranty claim because of water damage when the watch was marketed as being suitable for swimming.

Highlighted
Galaxy

I would absolutely like to see a comparison about this "Water damaged" warranty issue.  I see a lot of posts here on the forums, and on the FB pages about Samsung declaring water damage and not repairing the watch.  So, I ask, What is the ratio of "water damage" non repairs, vs. water damage repairs, or better yet, people who use their watch as designed, ie. swim, wash hands, expose to rain, etc, vs. those who have had the watch die when approaching something wet.  Anyone want to chip in?

Highlighted
Constellation

Yes I swim with mine and it worked great until it did not. Started acting up one day. First it started doing a lot of twitching on my wrist and showing different screens as if I was making commands. Then it started to feel warm and the battery started draining a lot faster than usual. Finnaly it became unresponsive to touch. Sent it in for warranty repair. Told the warranty is void because it has water damage and that the repair cost would be  $219.79, more than I paid for the watch.  I am outraged and will also no longer purchase Samsung products and will do my best to get the word out on their poor product and support of the same. 

Highlighted
Constellation

If anyone hears of a class action suit. i would certainly be glad to join. 

Highlighted
Constellation

In the mean time I hope my credit card warranty extension will solve the issue for me. Maybe time to go Apple Watch. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Galaxy Active2 watch water damaged and warranty voided...

This seems to be more common than people realize. I'm convinced Samsung falsely denies warranty service and blames it on water damage. It's such an oxymoron because the watch is promoted for active lifestyles and claims it can be used during swimming, running, cycling, etc. How do you not factor in moisture exposure from such activities while designing a watch is beyond me?! Furthermore, how do you deny warranty claims when you know well that it's the watch and design of watch the culprit and not consumers. This is insane!
Highlighted
Asteroid

No, I did not. Bought it from Best Buy.
Highlighted
Asteroid

I am going through the exact same thing. Mine was never under water. Worn less than 2 months. 12 different people at samsung doesn't care, 2 managers that never called me that I was promised would, cannot explain why? I say False advertising and a class action suit soon! Mine was never underwater bit was told sweat can void the warranty.