cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userRYDi4cNHoY
Asteroid

Galaxy Smart Watch wi-fi functionality

When I connect my Galaxy Watch (Bluetooth) to wi-fi networks & I don't have my phone with me, are there still benefits to staying connected via wi-fi? Are there Galaxy Watch apps that use wi-fi & work independent of the phone? 

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Galaxy Smart Watch wi-fi functionality

Ashtronaut
Astronaut

Same thing happened to me but with my s8 active

Ashtronaut
Astronaut

Try resetting your phone

Ashtronaut
Astronaut

"Restarting"

userRYDi4cNHoY
Asteroid

I recall reading this. I wonder if it only applies when our phone and watch are both on the same network. I left my watch at home and went to a local Starbucks where I sent a test text. Once it was received, and I finished my coffee, I turned off my phone, returned home and checked my watch which was connected to my wi-fi. I never got the text. However, without fail, I do get texts sent to my watch whenever it's connected to my phone via Bluetooth. 

userjYtfoTda0t
Cosmic Ray

Apart from the remote sync feature (which I haven't tried) the apps that depends on an internet connection (Bixby, Weather etc) can use WiFi connection on its own. 

Honored Contributor

@userRYDi4cNHoY wrote:

When I connect my Galaxy Watch (Bluetooth) to wi-fi networks & I don't have my phone with me, are there still benefits to staying connected via wi-fi? Are there Galaxy Watch apps that use wi-fi & work independent of the phone? 

When your watch is connected to wifi and you are away from your phone, then you can still get notifications, from different apps, whatsapp, instagram, email, possibly messages(I don't remember), see wheather.  You just can't make or receive calls