Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 Battery Life problems

(Topic created: 08-27-2021 12:30 AM)
Emilian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello,

Being a huge fan and supporter of Samsung products (yea, I own from computers, printers, scanners, monitors, TV's, appliances, phones, ear buds, watches almost everything Samsung) I couldn't wait to use my new Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. 

It arrived 2 days ago and wow ... great piece of hardware, except for the battery.

I'm also here to say Thank you! Samsung for another exceptional device.

About the battery life, please improve it.

My old Galaxy Watch lasted for 4 days before charging. I'm only using it most of the day in my medical practice for its calendar and notifications. Yes, it's really useful to remember all the names of all your patients just by looking at your watch, while you're talking to them 🙂

With the new watch, I'm really worried, because I almost cannot finish the day. I arrive at home with the battery at 10%.  I'm not using display always on, I'm not using any sensors and I keep disabled any form of movement detection, NFC, WiFi, etc. I'm using only a standard watch face that came with the watch, so no background activities. I'm not even keeping track of my location, cardio, etc.

With EVERYTHING OFF the watch is barely lasting me ONE (1) day, while my old Galaxy Watch was lasting almost a week.

On top of this, it takes 2 hours to be fully charged and it is heating like crazy while charging. This is really worrying me, and it tells me that this watch will end up in the garbage bin next year.

So, considering the great features that are absolutely useless for me, I'd love to see a MUCH better battery life. 

This doesn't mean I'll send the watch back. I like the design of GW4 Classic, I like its software, etc. and I really hope you guys (Samsung engineers I mean by this) come up with a solution to make the battery last at least 3 days. It has the capacity, the watch has a better processor, so I really don't understand what's wrong.

Thank you.

35 Replies
usernPT5YiKwp9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
My battery is also drastically underperforming. I had planned on making full use of the health and motion tracking features, but I barely got an hour and a half out of the first full charge that way. Today, I've turned on battery saver and disabled all the functions except Bluetooth and mobile data, which are the only reasons I bought the thing, and I'm still burning through little under 50% battery every hour. It's also getting hot when it charges. I hope it's a software issue that can be resolved with an update, but I'm worried it's a battery defect.
userMvR22QxKWZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My battery life is also abysmal. Has anyone offered any solutions? I am hoping it's not a defective watch. I can't maintain a day of charge.

PeninaD
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
In past Galaxy and Gear watches, I've experienced less than lovely battery life on the first couple of days, but soon after, when all the futzing around, customizing, etc is done, and the watch learns how you seem to use it, battery life would somewhat improve.
Hoping that's what happens with these.
usernPT5YiKwp9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
This is what I'm hoping, too, but it'd have to improve pretty drastically to be in line with my expectations and needs, especially after all the pre-release hype about how amazing the battery life was going to be.
kyskies1965
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My QW4C 46MM LTE lasted only 7.5 hours before dying on me. And this was after installing the update manually this morning before leaving the house.

I admit, this is my first smartwatch and my first LTE smartwatch at that, so I must be doing something wrong? Before I left the house I turned off Auto Brightness, turned off AOD, turned off BT and Wifi.

I didn't realize some of the Heath Functions was running itself even though I didn't activate any of them. But apparently it was tracking my steps and heartbeat before it died. I googled how to turn this stuff off. 

How do I get my LTE watch to last longer than 7.5 hours? I like the watch but with battery performance like this I'm going to have to send it back. What am I missing here? Am I not using this thing correctly?      

Serg675
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

You are not missing anything. It's just bad battery life. Looks like Samsung has shotted itself in the leg with the new Watch 4.

userRmuzG9lydh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I got a Classic 4 LTE to place my Gear S3 LTE.  My Gear S3 can last 2 days without a charge and it's 5 years old!  My brand new Classic 4 goes dead after just a few hours.  I've tried turning off all the extras and it does not seem to make a difference.  Even 'power save' mode does not get me any extra time.  None of the reviewers mentioned battery life this poor.  Something is definitely wrong.  Either a recent software update is causing this or Samsung put bad batteries in some devices.   I'll give it a week do see if others are having the same problem.   

userRmuzG9lydh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm not seeing any battery problems today. Hopefully it's fixed!

Emilian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Good news !!!

After yesterday's software update, the battery life of my GW4 just doubled.

36 hours after last charge, I still have 45% battery with everything OFF, even the wake up gesture is OFF - I must press the buttons to see the time and I had a total of about 50 notifications 🙂 I used the GW4 also while sleeping, so this includes 2 nights of ?sleep recording? ... not sure about this. 

I guess I have about 5 minutes of screen time. I'm just trying to see how long it lasts after the last update, but things got better.

Keep it up Samsung engineers ! If we could get to 5 days, you're doing a great job !

Thank you !!!

PS: the trick to have a better lasting batter is to keep the screen off all the time :)) try to avoid using your watch and you're fine :))