JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 is *so far* a step backwards in the Active series

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Watch 4 for a couple weeks now and have noticed a few steps back from the Tizen OS on the Active and Active 2:

First and foremost, Starting a swim exercise puts the watch in water lock mode (as it should), but the buttons don't work in water lock mode, so the only way to pause or finish a swim is to take it out of water lock mode, then hope you or the watch aren't too wet to pause or finish by touching the screen. Not at all intuitive for this workout (on the bright side, the watch tracks laps much better than its predecessors).

Second, the only way you get notification that your rest time is over when working out in sets of reps is if you activate the screen by turning your wrist or touching it. It will probably tell you your rest is up if you activate the "always on" display, but the old versions didn't require that. This is a minor inconvenience, but something that worked fine on Tizen.

Third, you used to have an option for multiple multi-workout shortcut tiles. Now you get one, and it will have the exact same workouts that are in the Health app (changing the shortcuts in the app changes them on the watch and vice versa). This is also just a minor inconvenience.

One last thing I find strange is that every time I reach my steps goal, the watch congratulates me on meeting my goal for the first time. On my Active, I got a simple message that I met my goal, but with the Watch 4, I meet my goal for the first time all the time.

I intend to stick with it because I have to believe this is related to the new OS and updates will address some or all of these issues.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
tmaitlan
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree!
0 Likes
WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just got back from tracking a cycling workout and have another couple bugs to report--  The GPS accuracy was worse than the previous Active and Active 2 watches, and this new method of pausing a workout actually introduces an easy way to accidentally finish a workout prematurely. On the old watches, you simply pushed a physical button to pause the workout (push again to resume), and if you wanted to finish a workout, the option was there after pausing to "finish." Now, the button brings up a menu with both pause and finish on it (does not pause the workout), and I ended up accidentally tapping finish instead of pause.

In addition, the watch didn't record over 2 miles of my ride after that "finish." I suspect this is related to the issue of withholding workout notifications unless the display is "always on," allowing you to leave out data from your workout recorded after the waiting notification unless you give it a moment after seeing the notification to "catch up" on the active tracking. I'm sure this will get addressed in updates, so in the meantime, I'll remember not to manually pause my cycling workout and just let it "auto" pause (that way, I can't accidentally allow incomplete data to be saved or prematurely finish the workout).

0 Likes
Bobo-2O21
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi WirelessMike,

I have a question regarding the last post you wrote. Do you mean that the up right button of the new Samsung galaxy watch 4 doesn't pause immediately the exercise ? The logic would be that it pause/restart the exercise without using the touchscreen.

Thanks,

Boris

0 Likes
WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
That's correct. The bottom button on the new Watch4 brings up a kind of "pause menu" but does not actually pause. It allows you to pause, finish, start a new workout, or adjust workout settings, but you have to touch the corresponding command on the screen to do any of those. Just pressing the physical button will not automatically pause.

The top button just takes you to the home screen, but in water lock mode during a workout, you have to use that button to first turn off water lock, then (after that completes) you can use the bottom button to bring up the pause menu and pause or finish by touching the corresponding command on the screen.

I've just learned to live with it for now.
0 Likes
Solution
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

0 Likes