Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 locking during sleep

(Topic created: 12-01-2021 05:25 AM)
realaud
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

All of a sudden, I believe since the last software update, my Galaxy Watch 4 locks at some point when I am sleeping.  I have put my watch in sleep mode every night, and it never locked while still on my wrist. I have to put my security code in when I wake up, which is annoying.  I can go all day wearing the watch without interacting with it and it doesn't lock.

I don't mind putting my pass code in after I remove my watch to charge it and then put it back on, but when I want to check my vitals in the morning, I just want to turn off sleep mode and look--not put in my pass code.

I understand the (flawed) logic of having a security code on the watch, as smart watches contain much personal information these days, but when the watch is equipped with on body detection, I expect it to remain unlocked while it is on my wrist.

I liked the Galaxy Watch Active2, where you only had to put in the security code to use Samsung pay. On the Galaxy 4 you cannot use Samsung Pay without having the pass code on the watch.

Anyway, is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is it related to movement? Do I have to start tossing in my sleep? With all the sensors to track my heart rate, it should know I'm not dead if I'm not moving. It's wrong to have the only two choices for smart watch security is that you can either leave your watch pass code free and give up using Samsung Pay, or use Samsung Pay and have to unlock your watch when it randomly decides to lock up.

3 Replies
Dnysus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
If your watch has some movement on your wrist, it will lock if it thinks it was removed from your hand, as if you took off the watch.
0 Likes
realaud
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

I really don't think that's it. I wear my watch all day with plenty of movement and it doesn't lock. I don't move my arm much during sleep, but since it's monitoring my pulse and sleep patterns, it should know it's on body. Does Samsung think someone is going to go for my secrets while I am sleeping?  Prior to the last update, when I put it in sleep mode it did not lock. Sleep mode just puts it on "do not disturb" and keeps the screen from waking up during sleep. 

I did some experimenting and found that when I put the watch in "theater mode" or "do not disturb", and subsequently turn it off, the next time I access the watch, it's locked and I have to put in the pass code.

I liked the way security worked on my Active2, only needed it when accessing Samsung Pay. Unfortunately, on the 4, the only way you can use Samsung Pay is to secure the entire watch, which I find unnecessary and annoying.

0 Likes
userL5qSxMQ2LA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the exact same problem. I use sleep mode during night and in the morning i found my Watch 4 locked. It never happen during the day, i tried to turn on sleep mode for a couple of hours during the day, but the watch doesn't lock. It happens only during the night. I don't understand.

0 Likes