Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 update causing a shortage in mileage count

(Topic created: 04-16-2022 12:44 PM)
AmenCoach
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Even after the latest update for my Galaxy Watch 4, it's shorting my mileage count. My husband and I started out workout for our walk at exactly the same time, we walked the same route side by side, and our mileage was different by .20 of a mile. He's still using the 3. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Are you sure that your husbands 3 is not being generous? My wife has a 3 and I have a 4. In our case I feel the 4 is more accurate. But accuracy may be down to the individual. Their stride, how they move their arms while walking, etc. I am taller and have a longer stride. That may make a difference.

You could both try an experiment and each walk 60 steps in a straight line and see which watch records closest to 60 steps.

Also, go into Samsung Health and click on Steps, then the 3 dots in the upper right, then Step Data to show.

Select All Steps Galaxy Watch and Phone and try carrying your phone with you if you are not. You may find that improves accuracy.
Oxford
Sun
Options
Galaxy Watch
I sugest walking around the block together with your current watches on, then switch watches and walk around the block again and compare the steps on each. That'll give you a good indication if it's the watches or possibly the stride and other personal details.
AmenCoach
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I can understand the step count being different due to stride length, but if I'm walking outside isn't the mileage based on GPS?
0 Likes
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Sorry about the delay in replying. My understanding may be in incorrect, but it is my understanding that the watch uses both GPS and steps. The way it was explained to me (and again it may be wrong) is that due to the small battery in the watches, GPS is not constant on due to the drain it would place on the small battery. So instead the watch pings at intervals to verify location and uses an algorithm that includes the step data to fill in the gaps between pings.

Definitely look into that more if you are really curious. But before you spend too much time trouble shooting your 4, you may want to first verify which is more accurate.

It could be each is off just a little +/- and the true distance is somewhere between the 2.