JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4/5/6 series poor GPS Fix performance

(Topic created: 09-30-2022 01:06 PM)
usertlOcykGzxn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Watch seems to be plagued with problems resolving GPS fix when not tethered to a phone.   I went out for a run, without my phone and it took the watch close to 10 minutes to get a GPS Fix.  This severely limits the functionality of the "Outdoor/Fitness" aspect of the watch.

Is there a planned fix?

98 Replies
Biker Pilot
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am experiencing the same. Support is of no use. I ordered another one from the Samsung store (free returns) and will try that one. My current one is going back (unfortunately restocking fee at BestBuy). The accuracy is so bad that the data is simply unusable and throws off all work out (running) measurements. I ran this route 3 times over different days and it was bad three times. Pictures show the Watch 5Pro and my older Active 2.

Screenshot_20221005-094628_Samsung Health (1).jpgScreenshot_20221005-100440_Samsung Health.jpg

Chris_00
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Google maps doesn't work on the LTE variant of the Watch 5 Pro without being connected to a phone! What's the point of getting LTE?!?! Half the reason I got it was for biking. Rediculous.
Mehdi Alishiri
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello
Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

0 Likes
Bladetech539
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
The 5 pro has the worst GPS performance I ever seen on a fitness smart device. I compared the 5 pro and the Garmin forerunner 245 GPS. Not only the GPS was all over the place the 5 pro couldn't even track 1mile correctly. I basically had to run 1.4 miles just to get 1 mile. Samsung needs to fix this asap or recall the watch and give everybody their money back.  
TonyTypeS
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yeah I used my new Watch 5 Pro on my camping/hiking trip this past weekend and notice the GPS tracking is off. For the short hike the Watch gps shows I was walking off path and through some places that I didn't hike through. Have fun trying to share you hike and people think your walking off path at a national park 🙂 its cool to have gps but it's by far from Pro. My cheap Garmin bike computer does better with gps tracking
Biker Pilot
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am experiencing the same. Support is of no use. I ordered another one from the Samsung store (free returns) and will try that one. My current one is going back (unfortunately restocking fee at BestBuy). The accuracy is so bad that the data is simply unusable and throws off all work out (running) measurements. I ran this route 3 times over different days and it was bad three times. Screenshot_20221005-094628_Samsung Health (1).jpgScreenshot_20221005-100440_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Biker Pilot
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I received a second 5 Pro directly from the Samsung store and the results are exactly the same. However, when I use Strava instead of S Health directly on the Watch, the results are much better and much more accurate. So it appears the software algorithms used play a role in its accuracy. 

Samsung indeed has to fix this. I have returned the Watch 5Pro that I received directly from the Samsung Store, and kept the other one, but this HAS to be fixed. 

That said: my watch is downloading an update as we speak, but the release notes only talk about security patches. 

Nancyvde
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Absolutely the worst! I fully agree!

parikklinger
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung, you need to fix this! I am not buying until I see people confirming that this has been fixed.