JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4/5/6 series poor GPS Fix performance

(Topic created: 01-17-2023 07:01 AM)
usertlOcykGzxn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Watch seems to be plagued with problems resolving GPS fix when not tethered to a phone.   I went out for a run, without my phone and it took the watch close to 10 minutes to get a GPS Fix.  This severely limits the functionality of the "Outdoor/Fitness" aspect of the watch.

Is there a planned fix?

98 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just received my Watch 5 Pro in rural NH and tree covered roads... virtually no cell signal, phone left home.   2.1miScreenshot_20221209_215417_Samsung Health.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
userqmWKcuvgzu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
So...did a run and just had my watch. The elevation and map is missing. What gives?
Galaxy5 pro, galaxy s22+. All updates applied. Run was while playing music off watch and no phone.

Cover image

userqmWKcuvgzu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
This is itScreenshot_20221226_152841_Samsung Health.jpg
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Looks like your GPS hadn't gotten its "fix". I've had that happen on my Active2 and Active4, but it's not an all the time thing. And I never take my phone with me when I'm going on my walks. I'm thinking it's how fast I get too far from my phone (where it disconnects) vs when my GPS fix has been obtained.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
userqmWKcuvgzu
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yeah, seems to make sense, I'm guessing in rough terrain. Having the phone gps also assists. Does the watch inform you when it gets its fix ?
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I don't usually bother to look at mine to verify, but others have said (there are other threads that are on this topic) that the 'teardrop' stops flashing and remains solid once it's gotten its fix. Not sure if the other threads are on the Watch5 or on previous releases.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
Jojo100
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello Watch 5 users, hello Samsung

There is a serious glitch with GPS in the Watch 5 Pro LTE, that I use since a month.

I use it for sports tracking with running and mountainbiking. When running I use it stand alone without phone connected with LTE. During Mountainbiking it is paired with the phone.

LTE connection on the watch works perfect, I can do calls and stream music from spotify to the headphones connected via bluetooth to the watch.  I have also no problem with the GPS Fix in specific.

My problem is, that the accuracy of the GPS is unusable. It has nothing to do with the headphone connection, the area around, the watch band.....it has to do with the training mode alone.

If I start running with the "normal" "free" running mode, I get the following results:

Screenshot_20230117_093602_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_093446_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_093500_Samsung Health.jpg

It is unacceptable, it is total BS on big forest roads, within city....not worth to talk about for such a expensive device in the year 2022/2023. Needless to say, that distance and pace information is totally spoiled.

But if I switch to the "running coach" mode and define a specific pace/speed, that I want to run, I get the following:

Screenshot_20230117_095341_Samsung Health.jpg

Same area as above, but with running coach activated. 

Defining a goal for the "normal" running mode (6km, 45min.....) does not work. Only a definition within the "running coach" changes the accuracy of the GPS.

The same using "Mountainbike" Mode:

Screenshot_20230117_093345_Samsung Health.jpg

Fairly, usable accurate.

So Samsung. Please get your sh... together and fix this. The watch is capable of producing good results, but the software is buggy. Third party apps (MapMyRun, Adidas...) also bring unusable results.

Thanks

bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

Have you submitted an error report to your region? 

While I no longer run I do walk 2 miles a day and I use the Walking fitness button to record it and it is very accurate for me. 

You'll not get the issue resolved by posting here, please use the Samsung Members app to submit an error report.  You can attach these maps to the report. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
user6QSyYlVgfe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi,

I'm looking at buying the 5 Pro but good GPS accuracy is essential for me and many Android Wear watches I have tried are pretty useless in standalone mode.. with the exception of the Ticwatch Pro 3, which is really very good.   It might be interesting to download the GNSS diagnostic app  on the Play Store, put the watch in  Airplane mode to make sure it doesn't use phone data, and see what time to first fix, number of satellites located  and accuracy the onboard GPS gives you. You can compare that directly between devices and spot problems without software 'auto smoothing of routes ' confusing results. 

Software that knows where tracks are is OK for smoothing out essentially road and track runs but useless for other 'trackless'' outdoor pursuits.

0 Likes
Kenobinai
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just wanted to add my voice to the discussion, and I have submitted an error using the Samsung members app just now.

Went for the first run using the watch standalone and the GPS was all over the place adding 17% to the total distance rendering all the metrics useless. 

0 Likes