JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4/5/6 series poor GPS Fix performance

(Topic created: 04-05-2023 04:25 AM)
usertlOcykGzxn
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Watch seems to be plagued with problems resolving GPS fix when not tethered to a phone.   I went out for a run, without my phone and it took the watch close to 10 minutes to get a GPS Fix.  This severely limits the functionality of the "Outdoor/Fitness" aspect of the watch.

Is there a planned fix?

98 Replies
Sephirotha
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Same problem as others are experiencing. I purchased a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro (model SM-R925U) with the intent to measure metrics while running. The Samsung Health app generates inaccurate results that render the app unusable for runs. The GPS is not able to correctly acquire a signal, leading to "bumpy-looking" runs that significantly overestimate the distance covered during the run.

I compared GPS accuracy on a long-distance run by using the Samsung Health app on the watch at the same time as the Strava app on the watch, along with the Strava app on my Samsung S10 phone (attached to my arm). The issue looks to be specific to the Samsung Health app on the watch – the results look quite good on Strava when using either device (although the phone performs best), and the distance and pace are accurate (it's a trail I run frequently and know the distance). I've attached an image comparing the three, which were all taken during the same run.Long Run Comparison_Samsung Health_Strava.png
0 Likes
Members_bJ9pCzX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung used to be one of my favorite tech manufacturers, but they're failing a lot lately.   My Galaxy Watch5 Pro has this same issue that everyone is describing.   Most of the time I get no GPS fix at all.   I went for a run on a wide open beach and my 2-mile straight run was mapped as 2.8 miles with a zig-zag pattern on the map (as if the GPS couldn't find me).   Just for comparison, I wore my Galaxy Watch 4 the next day for the same run and my line was straight and the 2 mile run was reflected accurately.    

Samsung support is absolutely useless - go outside, reset, uninstall, re-install, update software, blah, blah, blah.   Still the same problem after wasting hours trying to fix.    

Now the fun part:  Since the Galaxy Watch5 Pro is under warranty, they said, send it in.    My work order said "NO GPS FIX / INACCURATE TRACKING".     After 4 days I got a message from Samsung repair saying they had investigated my "NO POWER AFTER UPDATE" problem and there was "no trouble found" so they're returning the watch to me.   I never reported a power issue or an issue with updates.    Apparently, reading comprehension is not a required skill for their tech department.    Still no fix.   Still no acknowledgement by Samsung that this is a problem.    This will certainly be my last piece of Samsung gear after many years of being a loyal customer.    

0 Likes
Yevhen
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello!

I have the same problem. During run with Samsung Watch 5 Pro LTE using only watch and native watch Samsung Health app to track my route I noticed innapropriate GPS positionning. The accuracy of tracking is bad, I cant use the watch to run, although the watch presented as fitness tracker. I must use the watch with my Samsung S20 FE during run then phone capture appropriate route.

So, when I use phone + watch + Samsung Health app within the phone it give me clear gps route and heart rate. When I use only watch i get poor gps map, heart rate, advanced metrics (assimetry, regularity, contact time and other), vo2mqx. Where is the logic? Why I dont recieve such statistic when i use phone+watch? And second question why gps tracking of run activity with only watch and native app Samsung Health is so worse?

Sorry, I want ti sell this watch

0 Likes
Jxperezm
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm experiencing the same. My less than 2-month-old Watch 5 Pro is no longer getting a GPS fix after the latest Wear OS update. Samsung needs to fix this problem immediately. Right now, my smartwatch is useless.
0 Likes
smallrunner
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I purchased an LTE WATCH 5 on December. Ever since I have been using it the GPS has not worked properly. The other day I used it and also used a Watch 3 (Bluetooth only) on a run. The watch 5 added .50 mi more than the watch 3. So I checked the map and it had zig zags. I attached pictures of the map.
I have reset the watch at least a 2 times, I have restarted the watch 5 before a run, the band is not metal, also took my phone with me, found an article of Samsung on how to fix it (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01203472/) and it still did not work. Anyone else has this problem or has found a solution? 

Galaxy Watch 5 (LTE)

Galaxy Watch 3

0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm curious, what is the topography of the area? I ask because GPS works best with four or more satellites. If, for example, you're exercising amoung tall buildings or in a heavy wooded area the GPS signal can bounce or be blocked. I believe the Watch3 requires that you carry your phone with you, and the Samsung Health app would compare the phone's GPS reading to the watch's to create a more accurate picture; the phone's larger battery and antenna would help reduce the signal noise.

To test this, try carrying your phone with you on a run with the Watch5 and see if this doesn't improve the situation.

I realize that this somewhat defeats the purpose for owning an LTE watch, but technology has its limits.

I hope my thoughts help.
0 Likes
Cde3Cvr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
My Galaxy Watch 5 Pro has lost it's accuracy when counting steps and measuring distance. The same exact walk has measured 2.41 miles with my Watch 5 and 2.16 miles with my Watch 4. The watch 5 used to register the same distance as the watch 4 on that walk but has somehow lost it's accuracy. When I look at the track recorded on the watch 5 it's all over the place like I'm walking drunk in circles. The track recorded on the watch 4 is accurate and one solid line track. 
Any idea what could cause the watch 5 to lose it's accuracy and how I can fix it? 

0 Likes
canoli350
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
In the setup>location settings do you have the "improve location accuracy" setting set the same on both watches?
0 Likes
Cde3Cvr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thank you for the reply. Yes. Same setting on both watches. Set to "improve location accuracy". I did a test with my vehicle odometer compared to both watches and the watch4 was almost dead on accurate. I have since factory reset the watch and it improved very little but now I can't get the Google maps to show my route like it used to.
0 Likes
userLCB9180968
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
When tracking a run the tracking is very zagged and adds more to the run. Ex: Run was 6.30 miles, but tracked on my watch via Samsung Health, it was 7.17. I've tried several things to fix. None of my previous versions of watches were like this. 

Attached are Samsung Health recorded on watch vs Strava recorded on phone.