cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryantw
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy Watch Active Blood Pressure - My BP Lab - Any News?

Samsung never clearly communicated that the bp feature on their new watch only works with certain samsung phones and somehow that is the consumers fault? Hahahahahahaha

ChrisMoo
Cosmic Ray

The only thing the Galaxy Active has done is RAISE consumers blood pressure......

user4r9WbkGrEY
Constellation

quite simple:

1. remove your sim card, connect to WiFi
  2. go to Settings -> Apps -> Galaxy Store
  3. Click "Force Stop" & Clear Data
  4. Connect to any US VPN 
  5. go to the Galaxy Store & download My BP Lab 2.0
  6. Go to the Gear Galaxy Store & download My BP Lab for the watch.
  7. remove VPN, reinsert your SIM, have fun.

this worked for me in Israel, will probably work everywhere. didn't find it in the store before this process. works great!

userFFSDtyRlr5
Astronaut

The bp lab works on my phone I had to work with it and choose other cuff and it finally said I could use phone or watch 

userJK60pjiK5j
Cosmic Ray

Are you doing this with an s9/10 or note 9?  Or are you able to load the app on the watch with a different phone?

userXkdeqjvtFe
Constellation

Hi folks! Here some correspondence I had with Wendy, the Study Leader of MyBP LAB:

Dear Daniel

Of course, happy to answer any other questions that come up and feel free to share my response on Samsung boards. Importantly, I can’t speak for Samsung the company since as I mentioned I am an independent researcher, but I do work closely with some of the people from Samsung HQ on various decisions like country expansion. I, of course, can answer any questions about the study.

Typically I don’t read the mybplab emails, someone else from my team does, so if you have a high level question about future roll-outs, mention my name specifically in the salutation and my team will forward your response.

Best

wendy

Wendy Berry Mendes, PhD
Sarlo/Ekman Professor of Human Emotion
Department of Psychiatry
UC San Francisco

Tel: ____________
Lab website: www.wendyberrymendes.com

Lab Manager: Kareena del Rosario: kareenadelrosario@gmail.com
Project Director: Katherine Ross: Katherine.ross@ucsf.edu

MyBPLab Study: https://mybplab.com/

Date: 18/04/2019 00:10 (GMT+01:00)
To: "Daniel ------------->, BP-Lab <BPlab@ucsf.edu>

Subject: RE: Support for Galaxy Watch & other Countries

Dear Daniel

Happy to answer your questions.

In terms of when Samsung will offer the sensor on the Galaxy watch, we don’t know that answer. We are an independent research group that utilizes the sensors but don’t have control of when or if Samsung decides to manufacture the sensors on different watches. The watch used in the demo was a prototype that was developed for validation testing.

We are currently working on country expansion. Currently we are available in the US, Canada, Singapore, and Australia. In the next two weeks we will make the app available in Hong Kong, UK, and India. The next two countries (probably by mid-May) are Germany and New Zealand. Our next target countries for the summer include Japan, Italy, Switzerland, and Spain. So we hope to have a broader reach all over Europe in the next few months.

Currently blood pressure responses are available only for people enrolled in the MyBPLab study. This is why you can’t just have a watch to observe your BP values. The study is delivered on the MyBPLab app that operates on a Galaxy phone 9 and above and the initial consent and calibration requires a phone.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 3:39 AM
To: BP-Lab <BPlab@ucsf.edu>
Subject: Support for Galaxy Watch & other Countries

Dear Study Leaders

I understand thar the Galaxy Watch active has the same sensors as the Galaxy Watch (in your video you have been using the galaxy watch 42mm black version).

When will you make the app / widget available for the regular galaxy watch (46mm - LTE version)? Also: When will you let people from Switzerland use this feature?

Last but not least: When taking the measurements with the watch - which is the ultimate goal for all galaxy watch active and also galaxy watch users - why does the watch have tp be paired with the latest phone, even though it is not the phone's sensor being used for the measurement?

Kind regards
Daniel

userJK60pjiK5j
Cosmic Ray

Thanks for sharing this and please post any followup that come from this.  It is clear that the researchers and the hardware teams are not in good communication with one another, and the researchers also have no idea where the data that they are using are coming from.  To this end, it might be good to inform them that there are potential inconsistencies with the data that they are working off of.  If the watch were indeed taking measurements and sending them to the researchers disguised as measurements from the phone, this is a HUGE issue for the researchers and will just contaminate their data.  This whole thing has been a mess, and Samsung looks like they would rather fail the early adopter customers and screw up the research rather than taking responsibility of their failed messaging and have up-front communications with both ends.  

userpi3PpUt8g4
Constellation

Hi, the BP of the Galaxy watch Active work on a Google Nexus device?

I'm asking this as of May 2019, since the launch date Samsung had plently of time to do this.

userUGFt8q9Kb8
Asteroid

I have a Pixel 2 and the app is marked as not compatible. I sure hope none of Samsung's marketing contains information on the blood pressure monitoring as they could see some serious trouble there.

Highlighted
Ejm5560
Galaxy

It's all a third party that they are working with. The 3fd party app people havent fully deployed it yet that's why some cannot get it. It is still on research terms. Samsung announced that they will work and help them that's why they keep saying to watch out for any news.