cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy Watch Active Bug in Blue Tooth Stack

Problem: Once the phone goes out of range and comes back, watch drains battery within 1 hour.
Started happening after latest FW update.

So I narrowed it down to a bug in watch's bluetooth stack. Sometimes when the phone goes out of range, the bluetooth connection is lost but the watch thinks it is still connected. When the phone comes back in range, the watch does not negotiate a new handshake with the phone and keeps transmitting on the old connection (which is lost and phone is not listening on that port), no response from phone, watch transmits with more power and keeps on doing that, thinking that the phone is not responding to packets and is getting poor transmission.
So, I then tried to put the watch in airplane mode so it loses the connection too, but no avail, the bug is so bad, even in airplane mode the bluetooth radio keeps transmitting at very high power and loses the battery.
Watch also keeps displaying "Connected via bluetooth", even in airplane mode. 

Blue tooth is one of the easiest protocols to write, and this is a demonstration of very poor engineering by Samsung.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy Watch Active Bug in Blue Tooth Stack

Most probably something bad in the PHY,  reporting ghost RSSI. Cache not cleared, stackoverflow or something.

Highlighted
Astronaut

when I see the drain occurring, I reboot the watch. However, I think it is more than just BT, the power off button the screen doesn't respond and I typically do a second reboot, then everything thing is ok. I will keep the phone nearby.
Highlighted
Asteroid

You are right, the watch becomes very slow too, perhaps becasue all the CPU resources are diverted. 

Regardless, out-of-range and back should be a pretty standard regression test and if this bug has made it beyond, it relfects how incompetent their engineering is.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for posting. I've noticed my active watch draining battery faster than usual over the past week. Now it loses BT connection within seconds. It's extremely annoying considering the whole point of a smart watch is to share information with a smartphone.

Highlighted
Constellation

I am experiencing this same issue with mine. I have to reboot my phone and watch to get them to reconnect