cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SK9
Asteroid

Galaxy Watch Active Calorie Count too Low Sometimes

So I know that a lot of people have complained about the Galaxy Watch calculating calories as too high but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the opposite problem. I just received my Galaxy Watch Active two days ago and I've only used to a few times to track workouts but I've noticed that the calorie count for some of the workouts seems too low. When I went to the gym and used the watch to track a kettlebell workout I did (I just used the circuit training option on the watch) it says that for a 22 min workout with an average heart rate of 129bpm that I only burned 77 calories. If I use calorie burn calculators on the internet both ones that take into account heart rate and ones that don't they say that for my age, height and weight that I should have burned anywhere between 128-175 calories. 

The even weirder thing is that when I have taken my dogs for a 25 minute walk around the block the watch calculates that I have burned around 156 calories even though my average heart rate was only 126 bpm. Am I just using the wrong workout setting to track my workouts? Does anyone know if there is a way to edit a workout on your Samsung health app to change the calories burned?

16 REPLIES 16
useremh7kv9N7v
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Watch Active Calorie Count too Low Sometimes

I have the same issue. Been using galaxy watch since November and calories counted are way too low. My Garmin watch was much better. I go to gym 3 times a week and 60 minute if body combat should burn minimum of 600 calories without any heart rate details. My watch always says around 260 calories! And I mean I work hard for the whole hour so this is terrible.  Wish i sruck to Garmin,  that had more options in the app and was more accurate! 

SK9
Asteroid

Thank goodness someone else has had the same problem! I thought for a second it was just my watch! The more I use it the more I've noticed that for lower impact workouts like walking, running or treadmill that the heart rate and calorie counter seem to be fairly accurate it's just for the more intense exercises that the watch still seems to struggle with. As a smart watch though I think the watch is great, I have come to like it more and more as time goes on. Of course I wish the fitness tracking was a more consistent but for my first smart watch I'm pretty happy with it. Hopefully in future generations the software will get more advanced and accurate. Not gonna hold my breath but fingers crossed! If I may ask though, which Garmin watch did you have?
user7FiHRq062b
Constellation

Yup. I do body combat too and my watch logs 260 cals on a good day. Sometimes it's 220!! I was wondering if there was a more accurate descriptor for the workout? I currently log it as interval training. What do you log it as?
dpelchat
Constellation

I have the same problem... I do elliptical for about 30 minutes, my Galaxy Watch reports about 400 calories burned. When I sync data to Map My Fitness, the proper amount of calories is reported, about 750. I know this is right, since my TomTom watch was also reporting about 750 calories for the same exercise. It seems the Galaxy watch does not take my weight and age into account. I manually start my workouts, I might try to let the watch detect the activity the next time, to see if that makes a difference.
userq51FhDtscK
Asteroid

Same for me.

My previous watches (Gear S2, Gear Fit, & Gear Fit 2 Pro) all averaged about 150-200 calories per mile jogged, depending on my pace, heart rate, weather, etc.

The Galaxy Watch Active is only showing about 100 calories per mile.  I tried it with the Strava app and it was better.  I'd like to use Samsung Health though.  Hopefully a software update can fix it.

useroEEnYvdshJ
Constellation

Same problem! Watch Active says 30 mins on elliptical burned 29 cal. But mowing my lawn for an hour under "other workouts" shows over 1000 cal. (side note: lawn mowing needs to be a workout.) 

userTV16bbZIqz
Constellation

Same problem for me, went for a 35 minute run and the watch said I burned 27 calories! How can I fix this? 

dpelchat
Constellation

For the record, I tried to let the watch detect that I was working out on elliptical It did not detect any activity, even if my HR registered at 120+ for 40 minutes. But it will detect a workout when I mow the lawn too. Go figure... 

Another theory I have is this... It seems to do well with "other workouts", probably because it doesn't know what we are doing and relies on the HR in that mode?

userPJMpKwtEJE
Astronaut

I have the same issue. Has Samsung responded at all to this thread??