JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Calories Burned Wrong on Galaxy watch

(Topic created: 11-05-2019 03:44 PM)
dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've been using my watch for three weeks and I love it overall.

My first workout was a little weird... It logged Elliptical work for 400 calories and logged another workout for 700 at the same time.

I start my workouts manually now and the calories burned are always low. I synchronize every workout in MapMyFitness through SHealth,  and the calories count transferred in the app are correct!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

80 Replies
userTV16bbZIqz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same problem for me, went for a 35 minute run and the watch said I burned 27 calories! How can I fix this? 

dpelchat
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

For the record, I tried to let the watch detect that I was working out on elliptical It did not detect any activity, even if my HR registered at 120+ for 40 minutes. But it will detect a workout when I mow the lawn too. Go figure... 

Another theory I have is this... It seems to do well with "other workouts", probably because it doesn't know what we are doing and relies on the HR in that mode?

userPJMpKwtEJE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the same issue. Has Samsung responded at all to this thread??

Andrei V
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I can confirm that it is working correctly now, not a single HR flatline during the day or during workout

0 Likes
userXW4IlPDVO8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

This has not been corrected with the new watch; it's one of the reasons why I still wear my Fitbit on the opposite wrist!

Use the calorie count only as a basic guideline. I had a Garmin for two weeks and loved the app but had to return the watch because it couldn't record heart rate during intense exercise.

ShelleyC_PIT
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same problem here. I'm doing Insanity Max 30 - which is not an easy 30 minutes. I wish there was an option for a HIIT workout, since there isn't I have tried Circuit Training and Other. It said I burned 152 calories. there is no way that could be right. I have my age, height and weight all entered. This makes me want to go back to my Fitbit because I feel like I'm working my a$$ off for with nothing to show for it on the app! Is Samsung going to even look at this issue?? 

0 Likes
userQvPnpwH5hd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same issue for me, Endomondo reports significantly higher calorie consumption. Might be related to the fact that Samsung healt reports way too low calorie consumption while resting? 

Several calculators reports my average daily calorie consumption to 3.300. Seems about right, I'm 181, about 100 kg, and even if I do have a bit too much fat, I also have a lot of muscles. Samsung suggest that my average daily consumption should be 2.300 calories, so if I wanna loose weight I should eat like 2.000 calories a day.

I'd definitely loose weight at 2.000 calories a day...

0 Likes
userTYIEmoLMrS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Samsung Galaxy watch seemed low on its calorie count so I ran a test. I ran 3 miles on a treadmill at a moderate pace and it took me 36 minutes. I tracked myself on my Samsung Galaxy Watch using S Health. I also used a Wahoo Tickr X chest strap and tracked it on the Wahoo App. Finally I used the Bose Soundsport Pulse heart rate monitoring headphones connected to the Digifit ICardio app. The age, height, and weight settings were the same in each. I reset each device before starting. Here are the results:
The Samsung Watch: 369 Calories burned, 137 avg HR, 179 Max HR, showed 21 minutes at max zone.
Wahoo Chest Sensor: 522 Calories burned, 137 avg HR, 154 Max HR, Showed 36 min in peak zone.
Bose/ICardio Sensor: 651 Calories burned, 155 avg HR, 185 Max HR, Showed 23 min zone 5 and above.
So who do I trust? Why is the Samsung so low? This can’t all be written off to algorhythm differences. What gives?

jcarpenter
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Im having the same issue I finished a session of insanity with a average heart beat of 135 for 40 min with both my fitbit ionic  and my samsung active watch on to compair. The fitbit had me at 437 while my samsung came in at a stagering 260. Has anyone made any tracktion on this or has samsung responded yet?

0 Likes
userjkXVVLEWgQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I did go into a Samsung store here in Canada and mentioned the calorie issue (mine being too low) and the manager told me it was a known issue and Samsung is working on it. I don't know if that's true or not, but I would definitely hope it is given how off it is.

I went for a 10K run (6.2 miles) with my heart rate being mainly in vigorous or maximum ranges for 62 mins (so that's about 162bps for an average heart rate...my resting heart rate is in the 60s) and my watch reported 521 calories burned which is off by about 200 calories compared to my Garmin Forerunner 235 that I used to wear. I've even tried to put in all my info into online running calculators and they were all roughly between 650-750 calories burned for my gender, age, height, weight, distance, speed, etc.