Cosmic Ray

Re: 42mm Galaxy Watch battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is the info for my watch:

Full model code of Watch: SM-R810

Bluetooth (not LTE)

Purchased at Best Buy

Current software version of watch: R810XXU1BRH3

I went through the list of steps to try to minimize battery usage and here are my comments:

• I will not activate Power Saving Mode all day long - what's the point of having a nice smart watch if you can't use a lot of the features because you are in Power Saving Mode all day?
  • I didn't deactivate Bluetooth because I want it to stay paired with my phone (it's not an LTE watch.)
  • I do have Wi-Fi turned off since I usually have it connected to my phone.
  • I have GPS (Location) turned off in System Settings, but on in my Exercise/Cycling app. I hope this means that GPS is only active when I am cycling and turns off when I click Finished.
  • Screen brightness is at 6.
  • Watch is NOT in always on mode.
  • I never setup Bixby, so hopefully it's not running.
  • I have Do Not Disturb setup for night time, and I manually turn on Good Night Mode when I go to bed.
  • I wear my watch to bed because part of the point was to track my sleep.
  • I have switched the Auto HR between Always and Frequent and find that it seems that if I want the sleep tracking to work best, I need to leave the Auto HR as Always. If I don't, I get a message in the morning about my sleep: Sleep stages not measured. Your watch couldn't get a consistent heart-rate reading while you slept. It usually will still track my sleep in the "old style" of tracking (Motionless, Light, and Restless), but it seems that without Auto HR in Always, I don't get the newer sleep tracking (Awake, REM, Light, and Deep). I have had one night where it didn't track me sleeping AT ALL!

I get about 22-26 hours on a full charge, usually depending on whether I cycled that day. When I cycle, I have my phone mounted on my handlebars and my watch on my wrist, so it should have no problem connecting to Bluetooth during the workout. But it also has GPS on, so I know that puts some extra drain on it. However, the most I have ridden with this watch is 45 minutes. I would how that it could last even longer than that.

I hope you (Samsung) get this (and other issues) resolved! I have a week or so more before my deadline to return the watch, and my satisfaction is so low right now (especially for the money I paid!) that I will be returning it.

@SamsungNik wrote:

Hey guys, we are currently looking into this for you. Can you guys confirm and provide the following:

Confirm if you have tried the steps listed here : Y/N

Full model code of Watch:

LTE or Bluetooth: (List Carrier if LTE version)

Place of purchase:

Current software version of the watch:

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes.

Full model code of Watch: SM-R810

Bluetooth (not LTE)

Purchased at Best Buy

Current software version of watch: R810XXU1BRH3

During the day, since I work at a place with no cell reception, I keep the watch in airplane mode (8am-6pm). I keep screen brightness at 3, vibration in short, HR always on. Automatic detectoin for running/walking only.

Dissabled Bixby.

No stress monitoring.

Screen time off 15s (AOD off).

I wear it at night for sleep tracking (set airplane mode and night mode overnight)

I consider these settings almost defeating the purpose of using it as a smart watch.

The battery life estimation indicates 1day 23 h which would be acceptable if true. To get more than this I would have to turn on power saving mode.

I was able to get 1 day 12h once after 2 factory resets and using the settings described above.

Today having airplane mode all day, I lost 50% battery in 9h of usage with less features than a fitbit charge 2!

My usage is consistantly low (no calls, music or gps during the week) and very conservative. Battery drainage is very inconsistent. Sometimes if I restart it, the battery will begin to drain slower, sometimes it does the opposite (used to turn it off while I commute to charge it).

All I can recommend is do not trust the watch stating 100% charge but wait until the charger light turns green (5-10 minutes latter) so the battery would last a little longer. I hope Samsung solves this battery issue soon...I am seriously considering going back to Fitbit since I am being forced to shut all the nice features off to get just a day of (no)ussage...

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My watch is four days old and the battery lasts 10 hours. I'm not connected to Bluetooth, I'm not making calls or using text message. My model is R815U 42MM. I've turned off all of the notifications and my battery still dies... Please help I purchased my watch from the Sprint store in Orlando, Fl

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Today is the first day I have wore mine. I've sent less than 15 messages. Haven't fiddled with anything because I am at work. It's connected via Bluetooth because Sprint hasn't activated VoLTE, it has been remote connected off and on today because my phone hasn't always been near. It went from full charge to 8% in 16 hours with minimal use. This is ridiculous. I sold my fitbit for this watch and now I'm left with a useless digital arm weight

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Seriously advertising an upgrade from my old model in terms of battery life then telling me to turn off the features you advertised and thre reason I got the watch to begin with.  My S2 was LTE and ahd better battery ife.

This needs a fix asap. over $300 for this device, you should not sell vaporware.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My 46mm watch (BT version) lasts more than 6 days. That's with heartrate monitoring always turned on, and I exercise 5 days/week using the watch.

At first it was only 2 days, but then I started to kill all the apps in background whenever I remember, and it made a huge difference. Everytime you use the Home or Back button to exit an app, it's just put in background and still running. Especially apps like Spotify drain a lot battery while not used in background.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have found that if you turn off Location services (GPS) in the main Settings menu and only have it turned on for the Exercise tracking you are doing, that it definitely helps the battery life.

But, I have found that HR in Always On also does and while I was able to get about 36 hours battery with it on, I don't get close to 3 days. I have the 42mm, which has a smaller battery so I know I won't get the 5-6 days that the larger watch advertises.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
SM R800
Best Buy (internet)
46mm
Bluetooth
Tizen 4.0.0.0

Also heart rate reads odd at times. Can't use leather bands as they don't seem to keep watch flush enough to read hr properly.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

My 42 battery life is dreadful barley get 7 hours with minimal us we.

Yesterday I took off charge at 10am it was back on charge at 5.30pm. 

Last night I took off charge at 2am as the green light was hard to sleep with it Sat on my side table over night . woke up this morning 1% battery left. This is ridicules . Can't even use the watch for what it's made for.

I'm going back to my fitbit. Got 5 days or more from that.

DO NOT BUY 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

My 42 battery life is dreadful barley get 7 hours with minimal us we.

Yesterday I took off charge at 10am it was back on charge at 5.30pm. 

Last night I took off charge at 2am as the green light was hard to sleep with it Sat on my side table over night . woke up this morning 1% battery left. This is ridicules . Can't even use the watch for what it's made for.

I'm going back to my fitbit. Got 5 days or more from that.

DO NOT BUY