JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch + Android Messages

(Topic created: 09-11-2018 02:58 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a Samsung S9 and new Galaxy Watch.  Does anyone know of a way to use Android Messages on the watch?  The watch keeps telling me I have to use Samsung Messages to be able to retreive them.  I get notifications and can see the messages I sent, but I can't look at the "history" of Android Messages. 

Anyway to fix this?  I need a SMS application I can use on my Windows 10 PC and Samsung doesn't.  (I tried Flow and it's not ready for primetime).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userro0S5GTyVP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I was searching all over for the same thing, and gave up and went to Samsung Messages.  

BUT I did JUST figure it out.  Go into the "Wear" app.  Enable notifications on "android messages"

However, to text you need to go through the "contacts" app on the watch .if you click the "messages" app your watch will just say it isn't your primary texting app.

I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. I like Android messages because I have crappy service in my office. So my phone has to sit in a window on the other side of the room. Anyone know if you can login to Samsung messages on the web?

EDIT: it looks like if you click the messages app, the only difference is that popup saying it isn't your primary service. Once you hit the "x" it works fine. You just have to do it every time

View solution in context

46 Replies
user9lqLsde4by
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm hoping for a solution to this issue too

ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with flow? I have a Galaxy book 12, Note 8, and Galaxy watch and flow is beautifully integrated and a great windows 10 companion. Sends and receives messages flawlessly. Just wondering the last time you tried flow. There were definitely some bugs in the beginning.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Watch

Flow is slow, clunky and you can't paste in pictures/screenshots from the clipboard.

cmwilkerson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a Note 9 and flow but can't receive or send text messages to my contacts.

@ChazzyJ wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with flow? I have a Galaxy book 12, Note 8, and Galaxy watch and flow is beautifully integrated and a great windows 10 companion. Sends and receives messages flawlessly. Just wondering the last time you tried flow. There were definitely some bugs in the beginning.

0 Likes
TheWraith
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I need this feature, as well.  It is a required, must-have feature that Samsung's competitors do.  The Fitbit Ionic I replaced with my Samsung Galaxy Watch allowed the user to change their default messaging app and notifications and responses worked just fine.  Additionally, Samsung allows you to modify the default messaging app on your Galaxy Phones, but not your Galaxy Watches, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Samsung needs to support customers wanting to use non-Samsung messaging solutions JUST like they do on their Phones.  I can change my default messaging app on my phone to ... PulseSMS, for example.  I should be able to do the same thing on my Samsung Watch.  It's an inconsistent design and approach to user experience to not be able to do so.

cmwilkerson
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Amen!
Solution
userro0S5GTyVP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I was searching all over for the same thing, and gave up and went to Samsung Messages.  

BUT I did JUST figure it out.  Go into the "Wear" app.  Enable notifications on "android messages"

However, to text you need to go through the "contacts" app on the watch .if you click the "messages" app your watch will just say it isn't your primary texting app.

I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. I like Android messages because I have crappy service in my office. So my phone has to sit in a window on the other side of the room. Anyone know if you can login to Samsung messages on the web?

EDIT: it looks like if you click the messages app, the only difference is that popup saying it isn't your primary service. Once you hit the "x" it works fine. You just have to do it every time

user34zJzMzNhH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I can't even find the messaging app on my Galaxy watch or in the gear app. What am I doing wrong?

RichardBeck
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Agreed. Samsung needs to support Android Messages. It's a far superior text message app.