cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userjtfN1Gxxy4
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Watch - Step Counter accuracy?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue.

My phone shows four times the number of steps my watch does despite me not carrying my phone all the time and having the watch on all the time! I'm lucky if I get 500 steps a day on it, also it doesn't register me going up and down stairs??

VERY INACCURATE I hope it's a software issue and not the sensors or I'll be asking for a refund!

Watch model number: SM-R810

software version: R810XXU1ARH1

Type of phone connected to: Galaxy note 9

Bluetooth or carrier version: not sure what you mean??

userXTVg7FmSIK
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just got my watch this weekend and notice the same thing. It's registering about 4000 steps behind my fitbit. I'm probably going to return it.

I have the SM-R810

Tizen version 4.0.0.0

Software version R810XXU1BRH3

Connected to Samsun Galaxy S8

Bluetooth Version

PKiely11
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue. Steps compared to my fitbit are well out. Yesterday I went up and down the stairs at home 33 times according to the my fitbit which was about right, my galaxy watch recorded 3!!!!! 

Really poor. I've been in to Samsung today and they spoke with one of their engineers who says it's a software issue. And a fix should be coming. Couldn't say when so not confident. 

userbray2Oy5k2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model SM-R180

Bluetooth

Tizen 4.0.0.0

Software version R810XXU1BRH3

Samsung S7 Model SM-6930V

I have posted on one of the other threads here, but after 15 steps starts counting including the 15.  If you stop that starts all over again.  Treadmill doesn't record my steps when I have used the treadmill function.  Mine is not counting stairs and I have multiple stairs in my home.  Compared to my Fitbit One which I have gone back to the Samsung watch runs 39 to 52% accuracy. This is my second watch and was getting ready to return it this week to Best Buy while I still can.  I have chatted with a Samsung tech who suggested returning the first one.  I have tried all of the fixes we've been told to try at no avail.  Thankfully, you are looking into these issues.  

Ladmarg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The step counter works now for me as long as I use a watch face without "steps" shown in any way.  Then samsung health runs in the background and detects & accumulate steps on the mark.  

Most watch faces include a steps counter in soma way or another. I found the "new3.0.1" watch face nice and use that until the steps issue is solved.  During excercise I then use Samsung Health app.  

Note (technical): I have only spent a few hours with Tizen Studio to examine this , but what I believe is the issue: Any app for the watch that spends "too much" time handling pedometer data.  A watch face typically subscribe to pedometer data  (tizen.humanactivitymonitor.setAccumulativePedeometerListened(myCallback)).  If the "myCallback" spends "too much time" showing the stuff - the steps counter freeze.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I will try using a simple facewatch again. This didn't work for me before. 

I am learning though that you are required to wave your arms as you walk for the steps to be registered and counted. I did a test like last night while laying in bed I made hand motions as if I was walking... And guess what?! Tada! The "steps" got registered! So to me it seems that the way the sensors are set to work is the problem and actually SamsungSupport on Twitter confirmed it. They said that the watch  would only register steps if your arms are moving. I tried reasoning with them that you don't always swing your arms as you walk but they gave me the "then send your watch to be fixed". Argghhh

userOWggVq1YHa
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While waving your arms may help, it isn't the only reason.

I was walking fast on a treadmill at the gym - I had my Fitbit One on my forearm next to my watch.  My arm was not moving.

The watch and the FItbit matched, step for step.  However, the watch didn't start registering until many steps after I started.  This seems to be the real issue - it counts accurately WHEN IT IS WORKING but it doesn't start counting until 15 to 30 steps have been taken.  Then, it "catches up" on some of them (counter jumps) unless you stop walking.  If you get up from your desk to get a cup of coffee, for example, it may not register at all.

I don't know if their algorithm is set to purposely ignore short walks, figuring that only longer walks are of any benefit, or what.  Funny thing, the floor counter seems more accurate than my Fitbit and the overall distance calculator seems reasonable close.  But the step counter is off by thousands of steps if I walk 15k steps (according to my Fitbit) - Fitbit will show 15k, the watch will show 9-10k.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

Based on my conversation with samsung support via Twitter the step counter issue is part of their design. It counts steps only if you wave your arm. If you stand in place and wave your arms as if you are walking. Try waving your arm 50 times you will see that the "steps" are being counted. I did it while laying down and it counted my "steps". 

userZ0ZnHmzL01
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same prob here...upgraded from s3 frontier to galaxy watch. Play tennis for 2 hours, s3 usually recorded close to 6k steps.. s4 not even 4k

usertnzDH9Wf9U
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is very frustrating considering I was so close to upgrading my fitbit to another fitbit but decided to push the boat out and  with this new watch. Bitterly disappointed. Might return the watch

Watch model number: sm-r810

Watch baseband / software version: tizen version 4.0.0.0

Type of phone connected to: Samsung sis

Bluetooth or carrier version:  Bluetooth