cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Galaxy Watch doesn`t count floors although altimeter works fine.

I`ve noticed this issue in the first week of using it. Although the altimeter shows me an increase in  altitude when I climb the stairs of my building, the floors counting in the watch stays unchanged. I`ve tested this several times after calibrating the altimeter downstairs, outside of the building and sometimes works fine but most times it doesn`t count the floors. My watch came with the latest update already installed. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Watch doesn`t count floors although altimeter works fine.

Today I had a less than useful experience with Samsung Support.  After the last system updates my Note 9 and Gear S3 Frontier stopped counting floors. It counts 1 floor and stops.  I tried the fixes enumerated on the web including factory resets,  claering data and cache and reinstall SHealth.  I spent 2 Hours on support chat and was turfed to an support divisionn with limited hours.  2 Support reps and 1 supervisor repeatedly indicated it was a hardware issue and I would have to get them serviced.  I explained the correlation between the sytem updates and the floor count failure.  They finally agreed after 2 hours it was an application issue and referred me to thier application support team.  I will be trying this next step but I am skeptical there will be any resolution.  I was so fustrated by the lack of engagement of the Supervisor and the fact he kept tying to wisk me away.  I have been generally satisfied with Samsung products but have found this fustrating experience to be disheartening. I indicate to them I was not teh only user who was having problems and they said they have no record of issues.  I am wondering how many of you are having similar issues?    Thanks

Will

Highlighted
Astronaut

Dear Galaxy Watch owners

I have solved this riddle, and it is so simple its laugheable, but it works, and I can confirm it keeps working.

Coming From an Apple4 watch, Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Venu, Hauwei GT2, and eventually Samsung Galaxy, I was frustrated and perplexed, as I have the added hurdle of navigating through iOs on my Apple 11 Pro Max, but since the watch itself captures the data, I knws I had to focus there.

Here is the tech bit:

Previous gen Barometric sensors counted 9 feet as a flight of stairs, and newer ones 10 feet of continiuous, normal side swining arms moving upwards through 10 feet.

This is weid I know, but because you only do 8 to 9 feet in the US per flight of stairs, the next flat step canceles the flight, and you dont get a count.  

So the solution is walk(run)whatever, up the flight of stairs, swing arms nomally, dont look at your watch, as you reach the top of the flight, do a "hurrah" lift of your arms, et voila, a few seconds later the flight appear as a "count" on your watch.

Insane, I know, but it works, because by liftin your arms above your head, you add the extra foot or two it needs to count the flight

Have fun out there

PS, Garmin Venu owners, te same solution applies, tried it and it works..

Highlighted
Constellation

This did not work at all for me... Upon conducting a few experiments, I found out that my watch will only record a floor after ascending more than 13 feet not the 10 indicated on the watch after reset. Since it is 9 feet between my second and first floor, my arms would need to be more than 2 feet long from shoulder to wrist to get the 4+ feet necessary to record the floor. My arms are not that long.