JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 01-22-2020 07:00 PM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

225 Replies
pdqgp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This issue is still going on?    Not surprised.   The problem with Samsung is when something doesn't work right, they never seem to fix it.   The mods who have asked use for specifics, NEVER replied when I sent them information, no via PM nor Here on the forum.

The counter is useless and I've let it go and consider it a wasted feature.    Overall happy with the product, more so than the original Gear S I rocked for  a while, but in the end, Samsung behaves like a typical average tech company.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

>>>The mods who have asked use for specifics, NEVER replied when I sent them information, no via PM nor Here on the forum.

Agreed - same experience here.  They emailed me - I responded - they never got back with me.

Speaking of issues with this watch, I just had a weird experience.  I took the watch out of the charging cradle (I sleep with my FitBit - much more accurate/insight into my sleeping issues/patterns/levels) and when putting it on my wrist, I notice the display kept rotating in all 4-directions when it normally only flips on the horizontal axis.  I could not figure out how to get it to stop.  Finally rebooted it and it stopped.  Never had that happen before and there was no sign of any updates that could effect it that way.

0 Likes
usermApW98ePnq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

@pdqgp wrote:

The counter is useless and I've let it go and consider it a wasted feature.  

Yeah, I might agree,  but the new Galaxy Watch Active 2 is marketed as an activity tracker, not just a watch, and my wife has the same problem with that device.  I am starting to change my opinion of Samsung and their products, but not for the better.

0 Likes
usergljrEqt4rz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi

Did replacing the motherboard work please? 

0 Likes
user8N4RyuoMtc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

According to my Galaxy, S8 phone steps are counted only if the elevation steps rise ten feet! In a typical house level, the rise is only around 9 feet Samsung needs to change

elevation to 8 feet lol! I was ready to send the watch back.

userw17f1acBIX
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have not discovered a fix but I have some observations that may lead to one. I have a Galaxy Watch 42mm with a manufacture date of 12-31-2018. It has the latest update to the OS.

First of all, on my watch floors are counted, (inaccurately), when using some watch faces but not others. Some watch faces count the floors occasionally but not all the time. I have also noticed that when I use a watch face which enables the floors to be counted, one floor will be registered only if I travel more than 15 steps. My stairway is 14 steps but raising my hands over my head at the top usually registers a floor. Surprisingly only floors being climbed registers. Decending the same stairway does not register at all. 

The altimeter on my watch seems to be mostly useless. Climbing my 14 steps does not immediatelyregister a change in the altitude. A recheck after 30 seconds or so shows the increase in altitude. If I go outside and walk up or down my sloped street, the altimeter seems to work properly. After walking down the street the elevation changed by about 16 feet but no floors were registered. Walking up the street the altimeter tracked the elevation change and also registered that a floor had been climbed.

What does all this mean? Your guess is as good as mine. There is obviously something in some watch faces that affect the floor counting. It also appears that the altimeter app needs some work and may be part of the problem. 

Hopefully these observations will lead some smart person to figure out a fix. 

I am not sure what this all means but 

userg5KKMWzmPD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Does any of the Samsung members service cost money?

And I'm having alot of interruptions on my

(Refurbished)la

0 Likes
Muted_Mutant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userTifxl1MpxE 

I found a fix to this. I'm not sure if everyone in here is a lefty but I'm right handed. I wear my watches on my right hand only because of an injury to my left. I noticed the watch would not track ANY of my exercises like bench press, situps, floors, etc. It's brand new. Only the steps would count. When I put my watch over on my left arm, everything started tracking correctly, even the floors. I tested by going up and down the stairs 10 times. It would not do this with the watch worn on my right arm. 

I believe the issue was that the sensor is disorientated and motions is opposite when worn on the right arm. I did not see any options to where you could set the watch detection on a non-dominant or dominant arm like the Fitbit has. 

But all in all just switching the watch to my left arm resolved the issue.

userOxMMlfsEHT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

It has NOT been solved! Please do not mislead people who worked hard to earn money and bought this product. It is June 29, 2019 and the problem still exists. Samsung needs to learn from fitbit as my Alta HR, Charge2, and Ionic are pretty accurate at counting floors clibmed. Because the GearFit 2, GearFit 2 Pro, and Galaxy watch only count 1-3 floors out of 15, they now all sit in a drawer.

userwkhcwdUGNO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Galaxy watch was not counting floors and I tried all the resets with no success. I the went to Samsung Health app on watch...then selected settings...workout detection..activities to detect..the scrolled down and shut off auto detect for rowing machine and elliptical...once I did this my watch began detecting floors again. Although I still have to raise my hand over head at the top of a flight to track the floor which is kind of annoying..lol. and if your having trouble tracking steps try a generic watch face with no tracking besides date and time...this helped me hope it helps you too!

0 Likes