JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 11-26-2018 10:06 AM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

225 Replies
userwT7R1WBxU3
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

On my galaxy watch it is really...

rotate to Samsung health, rotate down to settings, rotate down to workout detection, rotate down to activities to detect, then find the rowing machine and elliptical trainer...

0 Likes
usersKGlxyjdwM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have some problem - New Galaxy Watch 46 connected to a Samsung S8 - just does not detect flights of stairs and a bit hit and miss on the steps too 

Options
Galaxy Watch

I am confused.  I just purchased the Galaxy Watch and have the same issues with the Floor count being useless.  I was going to try to disable the workout autodetect as suggested here but nowhere can I find these options talked about here.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

Never mind. I am guessing Samsung has made some changes to the apps/widgets layout since this original post from September.  After fidgeting with the watch for 15-minutes, I finally found it. For me it is:

Tap Home (lower right) button

Tap on Samsung Health icon

Scroll down to Settings

Scroll to "Workout detection"

Scroll to "Activities to detect" and tap on it, then scroll down to "Eliptical trainer" and "Rowing machine" and turn them off. 

I will start climbing stairs to see if it made any difference and report back her.

userg2aXLYd20B
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Tried it and went up three floors. Count = 0

It was working great until two or three days ago when it just stopped counting 

0 Likes
userg2aXLYd20B
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userg2aXLYd20B wrote:

Tried it and went up three floors. Count = 0

It was working great until two or three days ago when it just stopped counting 

So, received an email suggesting I cleared data and cache, did so, still not working. 

0 Likes
userpjQdZm8m8E
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This solution worked for me. I've owned my Active 2 for about three days. I own a Galaxy S8 phone, but I didn't carry it while going up the stairs. I turned off detection for Elliptical Trainer and Rowing Machine and have successfully gotten it to count floors twice now. Also, it updated my floors basically immediately, didn't have to wait several minutes as others have said.

0 Likes
kwagners
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@zoltar_speaks wrote:

I am confused.  I just purchased the Galaxy Watch and have the same issues with the Floor count being useless.  I was going to try to disable the workout autodetect as suggested here but nowhere can I find these options talked about here.

Welcome to the party - the thread at https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearable-Tech/Gear-Sport-Floor-Count-no-correct/m-p/256376/highl... shows that this has been an issue for the Gear Sport for nearly a year.  If you search the forums, you'll find it's an issue for dozens of us with various Samsung watches.  In addition to this thread and the link above, here are just a few other threads:

Options
Galaxy Watch

Hmm - my reply seems to have gotten lost.  Glad my clipboard manager got itSmiley Surprised

Yes, I have seen a few of those threads before this one.

As I mentioned, I will do some quick testing and here are the results (for now).

Before I made the recommended changes, I had 3-steps registered eventhough I climbed down up and down a flight of stairs at home, 3-times and then 2-flights of stair out of my parking deck and up-and-down 2-flights of starts in my office building - which should have totalled at least 10 (parking deck steps are only about 10-steps while office building are at least 15-each flight).

So I turned off Elliptical/Rowing detection - walked down the 2-flights of my office building - NO change.  Still at 3.  I then walked to my local post office and while the floor count didn't change, I was watching the STEP count which seemed to be dead-on.  Every step registered.  I decided to try turing off ALL other detections except for Healthy pace.  Walked 2-blocks to a Subway and noticed the Floors count had jumped to 5 (the 2-flights out of my office building). So, with hope-in-my heart, I walked back up the 2-flights but alas, it only registered 1-Floor/flight.  At least we have some progress.

I will continue to test when I get home and see if it registers.

Options
Galaxy Watch

As I mentioned, I would test further and report back.

After turning off *ALL* Workout Predictions, the FLOOR count is still completely useless. Never registered my climbing and descending the stairs/floor at my home, numerous times yesterday.  The sudden 2-floor blip was an anomoly. Same with this morning.  I climbed/descended my stairs at home at least 4-times, climbed 4 9-step stairs in my parking deck and 2-15-step staircases in my office building and *NONE* registered - FLOOR count is still ZERO!

--CORRECTION/UPDATE-- after typing this, I checked (again!) and the floor count suddenly jumped to 5 even after checking it 10-minutes ago and having sat in a chair to type this.  Still useless/inaccurate.

I am still in the return window.  Not sure if this is a deal-breaker or what?  Doesn't seem to be a good alternative watch that gives me the phone management functionality and health measurement functionality.

So Samsung, whats the answer?